Possible adoption of a double yellow nape

gooty123

Jan 28, 2013
I'm in a dilemma i am adopting a bird this week and I'm finding it very hard to chose between two birds

One: a double yellow Nape he is six years old coming from a bad situation looks a bit over weight and his beak seen better days? The lady kept him in the back room all day and now is letting him be adopted he has a bit of a biting/shy issue ill upload pics tell me what u think is that overweight or average also how about feathers and beak

Two Green African ringneck he's pretty much good no issues vetted and all

Can you tell me the pros and cons of owning both and why you would take one over the other don't worry about anything money related just the bird the size temperament etc thank you it would only let me do one pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 309

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
It really depends on what you are actually looking for! You are talking about 2 completely different types of Birds.

Ringnecks are much easier to handle than Zons!

Have you had any experience with larger Birds? Zons can be quite challenging and you will need to be prepared to spend lots of time with him and be very patient with him while he is adapting to you!

You will need to buy a large Cage and preferably a Playstand. Also plenty of Toys! Zons are wonderful Birds to have, but they can be a bit unpredictable!

I would say, if you have never had experience with a Zon, then go with the Ringneck.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Wenz, considering that Zon is 6 yrs. old, do you think it's a DYH? Looks to be more of a YNA to me. (I've been wrong before)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Wenz, considering that Zon is 6 yrs. old, do you think it's a DYH? Looks to be more of a YNA to me. (I've been wrong before)

yes, I agree with you Scott.. It is definately not a DYH! I am 99% certain that it is a YN as well. The OP has stated that it is a Double Yellow Nape though! Is there a DYN Zon?

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Not that I can remember.

OP
G

gooty123

Jan 28, 2013
I believe it's a double yellow but I could be wrong the lady has papers on it but regardless as far as the bird it's self he looks. A little rough or am I mistaking I have some experience I mean with hahns macaw gcc and a sun

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
here's one of our (very young) YNA's, yellow just coming in

14lhsp.jpg

Here's a friend's DYH

2mdklrq.jpg

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I think a lot of your decision should come down to 3 points-

1. Your prior experience with large parrots
2. Your HONEST dedication to helping a "troubled" bird vs the relative ease of a well-cared for and socialized one
3. Which bird you feel the most connection to

Personally, I would take the zon, no questions about it (unless the gray instantly took to me). I have a real soft spot for mistreated animals and love a good challenge, so I would make giving a loving home to the most needy bird a priority. However, those with little or no experience with large parrots or who don't want to deal with the challenges of a previously neglected bird need to consider those challenges more carefully. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to take on a mistreated bird, as they can be extremely difficult to help overcome their behavioral/dietary/medical issues. A well cared for and already socialized bird will absolutely be easier to adapt to than one that hasn't been taken care of/socialized much. This is especially important if you have little or no experience with the big boys since they are (figuratively) a whole different kind of animal than small birds or other pets. Another thing to consider is if one bird took an instant shine to you (don't worry if neither did, but some birds are love at first sight about a new owner). A bird that already likes you will be much easier to integrate into your home than one that is more timid. On a final note, I am a proud "parront" of my sweet little BFA Kiwi. He was a rescue, and came from a horrible prior home. Socializing and getting him healthy was probably one of the biggest challenges I've ever taken on, but also the most rewarding, hands down. It was amazing to watch and be part of his progress to becoming a happy, healthy, well adjusted bird. Then again, I intentionally seeked out the most neglected bird I could find because I have a lot of large parrot experience and wanted to give a deserving animal a good home. :green: best of luck to you, whatever your decision is :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts