possible blood feather

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
So I've had my Blue GCC baby Ozzy for a week now and after going out today I came home to find one of his tail feathers had come out and was a sort of dark purple/black colour and when I squeezed it some blood did come out of the end. He seems okay, happily chirping and eating his dreaded seed diet (I will be changing to pellets soon but he has a couple behaviour issues I need to work out first)

Would this bee a blood feather? It seems weird to have one as the feather was fully grown and due to his age he shouldn't be moulting yet. He did unfortunately lose a couple tail feathers earlier this week when before any taming had been done decided to slip out of the cage when I was changing the water and crash into a mirror giving himself a nice cut on his face. Which resulted in me having to throw a towel on him. So has a nice gap between some of his tail feathers.

Just a bit concerned he's hurt and I can't spot it

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Blood Feather: A new feather that as either been broken or cut near the skin. This new feather is still attached to the blood source will actively bleed. The shaft of the feather must be filled with a blood clotting agent. Failure to quickly halt the bleeding could lead death. Once the bleeding has halted have a trained individual like a CAVT (Certified Avian Vet Tech) remove the remaining shaft.

New Feather Loss: A new feather that has been pulled out of either by ruff play, resisting attach, etc... This new feather has or is just being released from its blood source and there is little or no bleeding from the area that feather was lost. Blood may or may not still be available within the shaft of the feather.

Breath deeply, you are okay and so is your Parrot!

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
it wasn't a panic as he seemed fine when I walked in and the feather was on the floor so had been out for a bit. It's tricky finding out if it's a blood feather or not with him because the stems of his tailfeathers are black, He's had some time out the cage playing and flying around and decided to give me a nasty nip as I attempted to give a scratch which he hasn't had yet so I think I've lost more blood than him right now. I hope his new tail feathers come in soon, he's only got 4 left and one of them is bent haha, it matches the bald spot on his head!

Most Reactions

Latest posts