Possible Green Cheek Conure coming next week

flightless

Feb 8, 2014
I've always had my budgie Jupiter and my cockatiel Aries, Jupiter I had first and Aries was adopted two years later as a baby. They got pretty close, living together and did not like to be separated, everything was always the three of us.

Unfortunately, Jupiter recently passed away at the age of 8 years old, and although Aries loves me and is hand tame, he's never lived or slept alone before. He's been quieter than usual and I've considered getting him a friend.

The same independant petstore that sells hand raised birds has some green cheek conure babies, they're raised with cockatiel hatchlings like Aries and was considering getting one. What do you think of them?

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
You should get one! But then again I am a bad influence when it comes to this kind of thing :) If Aries it a friendly tiel (which it sounds like he is), I bet he would enjoy the company of a Green Cheek Conure. Especially if they are hand raised and they're babies still, the GCC would be young enough to bond to Aries. And oh boy! You will sure love that Green Cheek! Ours was a hand raised baby when we got her and I just cannot imagine life without her! They are so fun, mischievous, entertaining and sweet! It would be a good size match to your tiel too. Please post an update if you get one!!!

My condolences for your loss of Jupiter.

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
flightless,

How old are those GCCs babies you saw? I'm having trouble finding any GCC babies and always being told I have to wait until early next year as I ""missed the season". I cannot wait to get a GCC. I say you should totally go for it! :D

OP
F

flightless

Feb 8, 2014
You should get one! But then again I am a bad influence when it comes to this kind of thing :) If Aries it a friendly tiel (which it sounds like he is), I bet he would enjoy the company of a Green Cheek Conure. Especially if they are hand raised and they're babies still, the GCC would be young enough to bond to Aries. And oh boy! You will sure love that Green Cheek! Ours was a hand raised baby when we got her and I just cannot imagine life without her! They are so fun, mischievous, entertaining and sweet! It would be a good size match to your tiel too. Please post an update if you get one!!!

My condolences for your loss of Jupiter.

Aries is older now of course, but he's always been non aggressive and was used to living with a budgie so I'm hoping it works out. This green cheek im getting is still a baby, I put a deposit on him today and will actually be going to the story to feed him for his last week before he is officially ready to go. The store owner I've trusted over the years and she told me a green cheek is much different from a sun conure in that they're quiter, more passive but still clowns.

It seems like a good friend for Aries so hopefully everything works out.

flightless,

How old are those GCCs babies you saw? I'm having trouble finding any GCC babies and always being told I have to wait until early next year as I ""missed the season". I cannot wait to get a GCC. I say you should totally go for it! :D

She told me today when I was visiting again, they have a few setups with baby conures and cockatiels in different age groups from newborns to a few months. One of them has conures roughly about two months old and she said most of them should be off the syringe in about a week. In the mean time, she let me put a deposit and I'm allowed to come in and feed the one I chose so it could bond with me.

If you're familiar with the Houston area the store I go to is fantastic, they have a wide variety of birds from small ro large and they hand feed and tame them. That's where I got Aries years ago and he is super loyal haha

Most Reactions