Possibly adopting Scarlet Macaw

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
You're totally right. I love having him on me, I just thought I should work on getting him off, but he is probably insecure and in need of just some love. He has been on me all day today which was so nice,, he's getting way more cuddly. He does get overly excited though and nippy at times. Not sure what to do in those instances if I can't get him to step up on his cage?

Let him know if it is too much, I use the word 'enough' with Plum. It is going to take time to work out those boundaries which he will need to know and your own way of communicating them. Try the step up exercises on his stand, back and forth with treats and praise. Just a couple of minutes at a time to start. Hoping this will make the cage step up easier. Understandably he is going to be somewhat resistant to going back in I suspect and it is up to you to try and show that it is OK, it isnt forever. :)

just to add to this, also try playing with him in the cage and putting him in a couple times a day leaving the door open. It should help him know that the cage doesn't always mean you're going away

OP
hnb

hnb

Aug 6, 2017
Chicago
Parrots
Joey, Scarlett Macaw
Born: 6/2/99
Brought home: 8/12/17
Thank you all! Joey is doing WONDEFULLY. His big cage is coming in today, thank god. The shelter let me take a big one home so I could strt working with him, but I bought the prevue hendryx silverado macaw cage so I'm excited to get him set up in that.
His back story is exactly as you suspected, he was raised by this man that he loved, but when he got divorced he left Joey with his ex wife, who joey didn't like. So he wasn't getting handled at all. I'm a woman, so he's not gender oriented. He plucks, but his avicalm and featheriffic should come in today. and the vet gave me an aloe mix for a spray bottle. He showered yesterday and loved it, I'm building him a shower perch. And the vet said he's extremely healthy! He got his beak and nails all fixed up :) He's much less nippy now and when I say "easy" he usually lightens up. and he rarely nips very hard anymore. Having trouble finding things he likes playing with. I've been putting pistachios in papertowel rolls for him to tear up and that'll entertain him for a couple minutes. Any ideas on playing with him or entertaining him more? I feel like he's going to get bored just standing on me all day.

Thanks so much for all the help!

OP
hnb

hnb

Aug 6, 2017
Chicago
Parrots
Joey, Scarlett Macaw
And here are some low quality pics of him after his shower, hoping to take some better ones soon.

Last edited:
OP
hnb

hnb

Aug 6, 2017
Chicago
Parrots
Joey, Scarlett Macaw
I won't take him outside anymore without the harness, thanks for the advice :)

OP
hnb

hnb

Aug 6, 2017
Chicago
Parrots
Joey, Scarlett Macaw
Oy I just read it and it makes me so much more grateful he hasnt flown away while I was taking him outside lately! I just went out and bought him a harness to work on training him with it. Don't want to start to soon as I imagine we're still building trust. I'm going to watch some youtube videos, but if you have any advice it's greatly appreciated!!

I'm so lucky I found him, he is SO sweet and cuddly with me, so grateful. I can't even imagine that he's gone untouched for so long

Most Reactions