Post partum in parrots?

woodisgood

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
Lilac crowned pair and two chicks
Another in my series of novice breeder questions:

I am getting ready to pull the chicks from the nest to begin handfeeding (pin feathers are developing). The parents are of course extremely defensive when I feed them or get close to the cage but thanks to Henpecked's advice I can shut them out and handle the chicks without any problems.

My question is whether, when I remove the chicks for good, if I need to keep them out of sight of the parents or do anything else for the transition of the parents going from with-chicks to with-out?

I've read lots about caring for the chicks but haven't seen much advice on the 'post partum' parents.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
yeah i remove them from hearing distance of the parents. I'd remove the nest box also unless you want another clutch.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
I keep them out of sight of the parents. I have my breeding pair in a spare bedroom and I raise the babies in my kitchen. They don't get to see each other again except in passing. Keep in mind the parents will not necessarily recognize their babies later, so always be careful of keeping babies off the parent's cage and out of harms way. My pair is quite aggressive to their babies if one happens to land on their cage or they are in a situation to interact later on.

Most Reactions

Latest posts