Potential Emergency! What could this be? Please help!

Erik

Oct 1, 2010
Hello all.

This is my first post, and I'll be posting it in both the general health and conure sections. I wish my first post could be about something a little less serious, however...

Our black-capped conure Franklin was riding around on the top of my pants behind my back (above my rear-end, in other words). I felt him making strange movements! I reached behind my back and he stepped up.

He was bobbing his head up and down rapidly (something he never does!) and his mouth was open. There was frothy saliva in his beak. He was making kind of labored breathing noises. Thinking he might be choking on something, I rubbed his throat.

Then I ran out to where his cage was and got his water bottle. By this point (only moments later) he wasn't bobbing anymore, but his little eyes looked pained/tired. He refused to drink, also something he never does. After a few seconds, he did drink, though. He drank quite a bit, then perked up immediately.

Then he motioned that he wanted to go to his cage. I put him there, and he immediately started eating and drinking. He ate for a few minutes, then played with his pen cap (the only toy he plays with).

Since then (all this was about half an hour ago) he's been fine.

He's been acting stressed the last couple days, but my better half has been gone (and we were gone last weekend and he was alone for a couple days) so I think that's why he's been acting like that... plucking and such. It would be hard to tell if he was ever giving any symptoms because he's an easily stressed bird and he plucks and bites his feet etc.

We just moved to a new area (Knoxville, Tennessee), so we don't have a new avian vet yet, but I'm planning on trying to get him in for an appointment with someone this weekend. Anyone from the area know of a good one?

So... does anyone have any idea about all of this?? Anything you could give us would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

-Erik

sprice37

Sep 11, 2010
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Marya 11 yr old Lesser Sulpher Crested Cockatoo, Socrates a 4 month old CAG and Cheepers a 1 winged Tiel whos name is dynamic.
I think your fids hormones might be going a bit haywire. Just a guess but my cockatoo really likes his tennis ball this time of year.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
From what your describing it could possibly be a couple of things, without seeing it, its hard to say, it could be reguritating, which is often a sign of affection or bonding, or it could be vomiting which could be a sign of illness, choking or ingestion of something harmful, in both cases you may observe undigested food comming from the mouth, wish I could be of more help, but like I said without seeing it its hard to say which it is, if he continues to do it, and is not interacting with you at the time it occurs, I would lean towards vomiting, if when interacting and he seems to get excited while the head jerking occurs it could very well be regurgitating, hope that helps in some way..........

OP
E

Erik

Oct 1, 2010
Thank you both for the speedy replies!

Bobby, it definitely seemed like something was wrong; he didn't seem to be interacting with me. Perhaps he was just choking? I'm not sure what he would have been choking on, but he gets into everything!

Does anyone else have any ideas?

McCaleb

Sep 29, 2010
Benton, KY
Parrots
Thoth - Black Capped Conure
Oh thats horrible for you and the bird. I'm so so sorry to hear that happened. You and your bird are in my prayers and i hope Franklin makes a full and fast recovery.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Could be number of things, so difficult to pin point.
Besides what has been mentioned in the above posts, stress may be a contributing factor here. Your better half not being there. Could also be the move, a lot for a bird to handle.
You mentioned he was left alone for a couple of days, did anyone see him during the time you were away?
If there are still symptoms, please take the bird to a vet immediately.
Please keep us posted

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Has he ever regurgitated for you before? That's what it sounds like to me. It can seem pretty 'violent' at times.

Generally when regurgitating a bird bobs their head (and neck) up and down. Vomiting is quite rare in birds and is generally associated with a side-to-side thrashing of the head.

OP
E

Erik

Oct 1, 2010
Thanks so much for the help and kind words, everyone! After reading what everyone has said, I do think it was simply regurgitation. He's never done anything like that before, so it really startled me!

That said, we're still going to take him in to a vet next week (and monitor him in the meantime). He should probably have an exam soon anyway. We contacted the exotic bird club in our local area (Tennessee Valley Exotic Bird Club), and one of the members gave us recommendations for good vets.

Franklin and I thank you again!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I would be startled as well, if it was the first time it happened to me.
As you mentioned, keep monitoring him.
For peace of mind, and the well being of the bird, good decision taking the bird to the vet.
Good luck

Most Reactions