Potential first time buyer

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've taken in several re homed parrots and one rescue. I thank you for considering that option. When you meet an adult parrot in need of a new home, you will be able to tell their personalities better. Now beware that some people who are rehoming are going to lie!!! So if they say this bird is very quiet, take it with a grain of salt, as it might just be a way for them to get rid of the bird. But their are also great parrots out there in need of a new home , and great people for various reasons just can't keep them. So it's great to keep this as an option.

If you are wanting a young bird, it must be fully weaned by abundance weaning not forced weaning , before you bring it home, and definitely hand socialized.
You also want the parrot to choose you. You want a parrot that is interested in you looks at you, wants to step up for you. If the bird moves away from you and isn't interested in you at all, that's not the bird for you.

Their certainly are a lot of parrots causing problems in relationship's. Some things that can help that is how you introduce the new person. Not giving all of your attention to the new person right in your birds face. Still spending time with your parrot and reassurance to the parrot that they are importance and matter. Share meals with the new person, you, and the parrot. When the new person visits don't leave the bird locked up in the cage. Have the bird out with you, maybe on a playstand near you.
My ex had a good relationship with my birds, as soon as he came over to my house he would go and great the birds, and give them a treat, and when he left he would go and say goodbye and give a treat. All my birds would step up for him, as long as I had them in my hand first and passed them over, and stayed near. He couldn't let them but could give them kisses. One time we were in the couch watching a movie and had two if the parrots with us, we smooched eachother and the birds, and we were eating strawberries and sharing with the birds. The birds were so happy they felt like they were part of date night, they were beaming happy birds. I also have all visitors great my birds, and I get my birds out, have them step up to the person for a hello, no touches, then I take them back. My birds will step up to a complete stranger. Since I have so many birds, I think this can be taught to most birds. There has to be trust.
A sure way to make your parrot hate a new person is to leave them locked in the cage , watching you pet and cuddle someone else in front of them!

Most Reactions