Pressure Steamer?

00Daydreamer00

Jun 20, 2017
Ohio
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Carmen
Iā€™ve been seeing videos around of people using these new pressurized steamers for cleaning and disinfecting made super easy (NO chemicals!), which made me immediately consider using it for the cages of course. If it can get grease off a stove, surely it can clean up a birds mess? Iā€™m just wondering what others think of it? Has anyone tried this? Do you think itā€™s safe on painted cages such as the Prevue brand?
312B712E-982A-493F-9E5C-DE96632DEC43.jpeg

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Currently, most all cages, including Prevue brand, are powder coated (unless we're talking stainless steel) which is much more durable than paint. It can still flake off, but not like paint. My opinion, I have zero issues with using a steamer for cage cleaning. It's actually much less destructive than using a pressure washer, which many folks do. The steam is at lower pressure, and the high temperature is very short lived, and mostly evaporates off very quickly. It will drip some including the "stuff" that you're cleaning off, so best to do outside, or at least have something under it to catch the debris.

Last edited:
OP
00Daydreamer00

00Daydreamer00

Jun 20, 2017
Ohio
Parrots
Congo African Grey - Carmen
Currently, most all cages, including Prevue brand, are powder coated (unless we're talking stainless steel) which is much more durable than paint. It can still flake off, but not like paint. My opinion, I have zero issues with using a steamer for cage cleaning. It's actually much less destructive than using a pressure washer, which many folks do. The steam is at lower pressure, and the high temperature is very short lived, and mostly evaporates off very quickly. It will drip some including the "stuff" that you're cleaning off, so best to do outside, or at least have something under it to catch the debris.
Thanks for your input! This helps a lot with my decision making. Much appreciated. C:

Most Reactions