Preventing un-wanted wood-chewing?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm having the same problem with my Macaw (I adopted him about 2 months ago). He

will hang out on his Java tree for a couple of hours. I dont want his life to be the

cage or treestand. He loves to go exploring. He has a corner in the kitchen that has

an open box and other foot toys for him to play with. He loves to play in the dirty

cloths basket so I just put some old cloths/socks in a bin for him to play with. I hope

this dosen't turn into another problem like chewing up our good cloths. I think I'm

going to make some tunnels out of boxes. I'm a box Hoarder now lol. He has 3 areas

in the house that he chews on the base broads. He doesn't know he can fly so

he runs behind me and follows me around the house. So when he sees the office he

will go in and play behind the door and chew the base boards. He likes to follow lines

with his beak he does it with the base boards and the hard wood floor. I should strap

a duster to him and he can dust my base baords lol.

You should not give your bird tunnels or boxes etc...It is a hormonal trigger that encouraging hormonal production and alters behavior. Yes, they love it..but think about a poor newlywed couple...they may want kids, but they probably won't start actively trying until they have a suitable environment to raise a child etc. By indulging cavity-seeking behavior, you are amping up hormones. I know some people insist that hormones are just seasonal, but myriad studies have shown that within a synthetic/home environment, humans can influence hormonal production etc. I understand why you want to do this (keeps your bird very busy...bird that is busy is less likely to do other things ) BUT it is the wrong approach, respectfully...they get obsessed with these spaces because it is instinctual, but instinct also dictates hormonal production and when the environment is not conducive, they are far less likely to go into hormonal mode (which can lead to health consequences for you and your parrot). There are feedback loops in human and animal brains that are triggered by certain experiences. A sexual experience triggers a feedback loop in animals (humans included)--I know a box may seem innocent, but without one, they are not going to feel as prepared to nest and produce hormones related to nesting.

I just posted a ton of links on another thread about this-- I am well aware that birds have seasonal hormones, but in a home, the environment is so unnatural that you can end up with a very hormonal and sexual frustrated bird (even if they have an "outlet" it isn't the same life they would have in the wild) . Humans play a huge role in hormones (and therefore behavior). I strongly recommend that you wean your bird off of these boxes. I know- it can be a great "babysitter" as far as keeping them seemingly happy and occupied, but it can backfire quickly (in as little as a few hours, to 6 months). Your bird is also young, which means you are starting unsustainable long-term habits because macaws don't get super sexual until 3-4 years....That's when you could see the major impact of these choices (although, possibly even sooner, based on the triggers)

It can lead to unhealthy behaviors, anxiety, aggression etc. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it's a lot like leading your bird on. If they have a nesting environment and no mate...and you can be perceived as that mate (which can quickly backfire).

Honestly-- say no to shadowy spaces and pet on the head and neck only, while allowing 12 hours of sleep on a schedule. This has prevented birds from having to get Lupron injections and it certainly can curb long-term behavior issues.

We know that sexual acts/exposure to sexual stimuli in humans amps up certain behaviors....The same is true of birds...they don't just get it out of their system if you allow this stuff.....It encourages feedback loops and hormonal production out-of-season

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts