damanta

Jun 28, 2012
Ma
Parrots
Princess- 12 yo blue & gold macaw
Peewee 22 yo yellow naped Amazon
Pepper 7 yo double yellow head Amazon
Percy 9 month old budgie
This is Princess, my B&G Macaw. She's about 12 years old and was a rescue. We heard through a friend about a guy who wanted to get rid of his macaw, and my dad was interested in getting one so we went over to meet the bird. "His" cage was encrusted with poop. The guy was casually feeding "him" pieces of almond joy when we got there, and told us that "he" loved pork rinds and sunflower seeds more than anything else. The bird lunged towards him a little and he backhanded it. That sealed the deal, and we took the bird home immediately. Our first stop was our vet, where we got pictures of it taken- ragged feathers, skinny, just a mess. We also had her DNA tested. There was a lot of following drama where the guy tried to change his mind, but the vet work that we had done ultimately meant that we got to keep her. She was extremely shy and wary of hands for a long time, but we managed to win her trust and get her back to physical & mental health. I've recently started clicker and target training her, and she is amazing me with her learning ability.
DSCN2182.jpg

collegebreak003.jpg

That's a picture of Princess with my Dad.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
She is gorgeous... It so nice to hear these happy endings, when the bird has been living in such terrible conditions. Thank you for taking her hour of that awful place.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Oh my gosh, she's beautiful! I'm so glad you gave her a better home!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Princess is a very pretty girl!!!! They're very very smart and can catch onto stuffs very quickly! What a idiot you got her from, feeding her Almond Joy? That stuffs could kill her....

JaxAttack

Feb 28, 2012
South Africa
Parrots
Jax the Bare eyed Cockatoo and Pepi the Budgie
Stories like this make me cry... I want to cry from joy and anger all at once... I know this is probably wrong to say, but I wish I could give the guy you got her from a backhand (actually more than one)

You are great

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
What a lovely girl. It fills me with rage when people hit animals; glad to hear that you rescued her from a miserable existence.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Good for you. Rehabbing a miss-treated bird should give you a good feeling and a strong bond. She is stunning.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I am so glad that you gave her a loving home. :) I am sure that she loves you all the more for it.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
beautiful bird and dad looks very happy. fantastic job. congrats on your bird... Alison aand sweetie pie:D

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
she's stunning! What a horrible home she came from, and what a wonderful home she lives in now! she is gorgeous and you are a hero for taking her :D!

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Too bad she didn't clamp down on him when he backhanded her..It makes me sick how some people treat their birds (and other pets too). She really is a beautiful B&G. You can tell she is finally in a loving home.

Most Reactions