Probably over reacting

fishstick600

Dec 8, 2012
Ok so Sydney my 1 year old U2 as off two days ago ;-) I'd growing in some flight feathers. I was watching him preen them today and noticed just a little bit of red on one of them. It looks like he has a few drops of blood on one of the feathers that has been coming in for about a month now and is almost completely finished growing. Has anyone experienced their parrot picking at new feathers after being clipped? Btw I got him fully clipped.. Basically no ability to break his fall which resulted in a broken beak a few months ago

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Yes, some clipped parrots (especially the ones that have had a bad clip) would pluck the new blood primaries growing out (sometimes it's because the newly growing feathers have no support -from the feathers that should already be there- and, as they move, it bothers them so they pull them out). I have one that did it to the point that he damaged the follicles and now the remiges will not longer grow (I don't clip, this happened before he came to me).

A good solution for this is imping but you need molted feathers of the same type and species for that as well as somebody (an AV?) who knows how to do it properly.

Most Reactions