Problem introducing a new conure to my conure

Mriley1342

Apr 7, 2013
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi,

So I've wanted another bird for a few years, but I've heard pros and cons to owning two conures. So I decided to see if Aleta (my green cheek) will play nice with another conure.

I went to a reputable Petco who had a 5 mo old cute Pineapple Green Cheek who is a sweet as can be. They typically have 3 day return policy if the two birds don't get along. I'm trying to introduce them slowly, yet I want to be fair to both birds and will need to make decision soon. I've gotten an extension until Monday (5 days) to decide if I should keep the new bird or not.

Their cages are on the same long countertop separated by a wide play area (so they could get familiar with each other). I've taken them out separately, to bond with the new bird, and then take Aleta out so she knows she is still very loved.

I took them out together evening - the new bird was on a small play area perch in the kitchen (it's wings are clipped and barely starting to grow) and Aleta was on my shoulder. So Aleta flew over and landed on the far side of the perch. They looked at each other briefly, walked towards each other, then the new bird nipped Aleta. Who then reciprocated. I was monitoring them closely and immediately intervened, separating the two. The new bird was around other birds in the store and the employees walked around with the other three conures so they had exposure to other birds. I thought Aleta would have the problem, not the new bird.

I tried to take them out again later this evening and they got two small nips at each other before I separated them again. I'm very concerned whether I should keep the second bird. I'd much prefer to have a longer period of time to allow them time to get used to each other, but I'm in a time crunch.

I would welcome any thoughts/advice. I like the new bird (tentatively named Piper), but Aleta comes first. Thanks!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Three days or even five days are not enough time to determine if two birds are going to get along.....just because they are birds and even birds of the same species, they do not know each other and shouldn't be expected to flock together on a moment's notice.....as you can see, I've a variety of birds, but a new one has time in its own cage for everybody to get to know everybody else, at least two weeks before any interaction is tried...and the first several interactions are always while they are on me.....

Guess you've got a decision to make before Monday, but you can still keep the cinnamon & just keep them in their own cages, interacting with them separately.....

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
It is nicer if they do get along but they don't have to. Just have to learn to juggle time with you between the two of them. I have to strictly keep my Senegal away from my two Blue Crowns. He will go into attack and harm mode if he gets close to them. The Blue Crowns really don't have a problem with him except they have learned that he is not to be trusted. Tootsie will do a "get away from me" open beak and half lunge. Rosco just gets the heck out of Dodge.

You could try giving them some treats when they are near each other. Eat some food while you are at it. I have seen some success with that before because you are eating as a flock. Just don't let one attempt to get the food away from the other so you can keep everything positive. Reward them both with some scritching and petting and talking to them while they are on you.

OP
M

Mriley1342

Apr 7, 2013
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I think I'll keep her then. What is a good time table/process to let the new bird (Piper) get use to her new home, and my boyfriend and me, and Aleta? How often should I take Piper out? I'll continue to swap birds (one in the cage one out then vice versa), but when would be a good time to have both birds out (kept separately, one with me and one with my boyfriend and vice versa)?

Thanks! I'll post a pic of both of them shortly.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
I would be more concerned with there being no quarantine time between the 2 birds meeting. Bringing a bird home from Petco might not have been too good of an idea.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
it can take months for two birds to get used to each other! usually it takes only a couple weeks though never 5 days! Also when getting a bird from petco or another chain petstore ALWAYS practice quarantine new birds come in there all the time and you never know if you are getting a bird that has been exposed to disease!! That is the biggest thing to watch out for I wouldnt let a petco bird near my birds for 30-40 days or get it totally vet checked to make sure its healthy. You say that its a reputable petco but I have never seen one, their birds are usually on a bad diet, unsocialized, and very high chance of carrying disease.

thermodynamic

Apr 13, 2012
Stillwater, MN
Parrots
Rosie = Rescued Pineapple GCC,
Rusty = bought Cinnamon GCC,
Scooter = bought Normal GCC,
Tybbi MacGuyver = Rescued Blue Crown Conure
I can only reiterate what everyone else here has already said...

I've 4 fids, of which 2 are rescues.

Tybbi and Rosie (the rescues) are more likely to shoe overt aggression, even in neutral areas.

The best I've seen is when Tybbi, Rosie, and Scooter are out at the same time. Tybbi is at one end of the gym looking nonchalant, with Rosie and Scooter looking slightly apprehensive at the other. Must be a territorial thing, but getting birds to make friends doesn't always work...

Especially as Rosie and Rusty will fight and draw blood if they got the chance.

And I've had Tybbi for almost a year and accepts me but has food territory issues, Rosie for 3 (who is getting more comfy with me albeit very slowly), and Rusty & Scooter for 6 years (who are completely tame and adorable with me).

And when I got Rosie and Tybbi, I immediately did quarantine procedures and went to the vet. None of them had an ailment, but it's easier for birds to spread ailments to each other...

But, as with humans, putting two birds together - at once or even over time - may not induce friendship (or induce the contrary, especially if there are bonding or territorial issues). As was said, juggle quality time with each bird separately if nothing else works.

Most Reactions