Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I have three macaws in separate cages housed in my laundry room. It has a tile floor and tileboard walls for easy cleanup, but macaws spill things and I have been invaded by these little German cockroaches. Up until now I have been waging the war with cleanup as I am worried about bird sensitivity to pestacides, but I am clearly not winning this war. What do you do that works and is safe for the birds.... I'm all ears

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Try sprinkling Diatomaceous earth along the baseboards/bottom of the walls, and you can also try spraying straight vinegar at the bugs themselves. This helped me with an ant invasion, but cockroaches might be a whole other story.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
We were renovating at the same time as our neighbour which bought on a german roach invasion. We did everything we could without using heavy pestacides, nothing worked!!! After 18mths battling them we bombed the crap out of the place. We repeated it again 2 weeks later and I think are finally winning the war.... Have to wait for summer to be sure. They are resiliant little buggers :mad:
We did this just before we got Shadow so were birdless at the time. I couldn't do that now so would be interested in hearing bird-friendly ideas as well

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I have a friend in FL. who had a terrible problem. She contacted a pesticide company that uses a powder that is completely safe for birds. Her house needed two treatments but the buggers are all gone now. She told me in FL. they have this safe pesticide due to all the bird owners. I will see if I contact her.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I have a friend in FL. who had a terrible problem. She contacted a pesticide company that uses a powder that is completely safe for birds. Her house needed two treatments but the buggers are all gone now. She told me in FL. they have this safe pesticide due to all the bird owners. I will see if I contact her.

Thanks GC. If you get the name of the active ingredient I could ask the guys here if they use it. We did go with pet-safe products professionally treated due to all our other critters but it didn't help for long. Maybe 2-3 treatments close together would have worked.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Borax works great. Just put it in a small container that the birds can't get into and add a little fruit juice or something sweat if you want to really get the bugs.

If you have any little holes in the floors/walls that you know the birds can't get in spray or sprinkle a bit of borax in there too.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
One that I've heard of, don't know if it works or not, haven't tried it my self, but it is non toxic, is a mixture of baking soda and powdered sugar mixed in equal parts and sprinkled around the infected areas......I do know that the diatomaceous earth (DE) works great for ants, but I've never had cause to use it on roaches, it should work the same though, you can usually find it in health food stores or places where the sell organics under the name of "Concern" made by Necessary Organics Inc., Good Luck!

Most Reactions