Problems with new tiel!

Burgundy

Nov 24, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Larry Bird - Cockatiel
Hi everyone, I just got a new handfed baby cockatiel 3 days ago from a breeder and I'm very nervous about a situation.

First, he's very sweet and even though he's a bit nervous, once he's out of his cage he'll perch on my finger, eat from my hand and let me walk around the apartment with him.

I have seen him eat his pellets a few times, he also loves millet a lot! So much that I removed it from the cage and only offer it as a treat now so he won't eat it too much over the pellets.

Now to the problem I'm having. His poop does not seem healthy to me. I've attached a picture of the poop to this thread. If anybody could tell me if the poop is alarming I would really appreciate it!

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 23897765_10155833792283959_4627625_n.jpg
    23897765_10155833792283959_4627625_n.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 118

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Dry part of his diet should be 50/50 seeds to pellets.

Droppings could possibly be normal for being in a new environment where he's stressed out.

That said, if you haven't taken him to an avian vet yet, now would be a good time! Even if he ends up being healthy, it creates a baseline for all future vet visits!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I think a visit to an avian vet will set your heart at ease. A number of factors could have caused abnormal stool, including the stress of a new home and diet changes. Nevertheless, it is important to rule out whether your baby has any medical problems. Hope this helps!

OP
B

Burgundy

Nov 24, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Larry Bird - Cockatiel
Thank you! I'll definitely take him for a visit soon!

MonicaMc, so far the food bowl in his cage contains only pellets as the breeder told me to only feed seeds as a treat and not mix it with the pellets as he'll only choose them over the pellets. Should I give him more seeds? I bought Avi-cake as a treat but he don't seem to enjoy it that much so I've been using millet instead cause he goes crazy for that stuff.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I have offered both seeds and pellets to my cockatiel crew (down to 1 now) and they ate both. Often times though, I would feed pellets and seeds on alternating days so they didn't get much choice. Once they were eating pellets, it was just a part of their diet.

On top of that, they are fed fresh foods, sprouts and sometimes cooked foods.

The concern is is that cockatiels come from arid places where they don't consume a lot of water. Pellets are rather dry. A diet too high in pellets can result in kidney problems because their body doesn't have enough nutrients to flush their kidneys. Some speculate that pellets may even contain "too much" nutrients when their wild counterparts may consume a diet with less nutrients.

In short though, we all know that an all seed diet isn't healthy for them (lacking in nutrients, could lead to fatty liver disease), and an all pellet diet isn't good, either. (re: kidneys)

If you can balance out seeds and pellets with fresh foods, that'd be great!

OP
B

Burgundy

Nov 24, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Larry Bird - Cockatiel
MonicaMc Thanks for your insight! I do feed him fresh vegetables every day and I've tried fruits (I know fruits must not be fed as much as veggies) but so far I haven't found a fruit he liked. As for veggies, he seems to like greens the most. Bok Choy and Kale seem to be the favorites so far (still lots to try though!). Didn't think of sprouts but it makes sense as sprouts are very nutritious and healthy. Like I said so far I've used seeds as treats only but I'm gonna try adding em in the diet from time to time. And I'm wondering, what type of cooked food do you feed your tiel?

Pokemaster, it's getting better! It's still green but it's a brighter green now and the feces are more solid and look much less like tar! The urates are not a bright white yet but they're still whiter then they were at first. Also this morning he's been super active, playing with his favorite toy all morning, grinding his beak, eating and drinking plenty!

Pokemaster

Oct 13, 2017
Parrots
cockatiels
Good to hear!
On my tiels I use 50/50 seeds/pellets too.. when they eat pelletes the poop gets the color of the pellets

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I haven't done much cooking lately for my birds, but when I did cook, it was mostly grains and legumes. I'd use these as a base and add in (some) fruits and (lots) veggies.

Since I'm going with a sprout base over a cooked one, I've been sprouting instead of cooking. I currently use China Prairie Sprouts.

I don't make 'bird bread' very often, nor do I cook eggs that frequently for my flock.

If it helps....
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

OP
B

Burgundy

Nov 24, 2017
Canada
Parrots
Larry Bird - Cockatiel
Thank you very much! I was looking at your food list and something caught my attention: you can feed yogurt? or is just something you technically ''can'' but isn't recommended?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Yogurt, specifically greek yogurt, has live bacteria in it. Now, whether any of it is actually *good* for their digestive systems is debatable.

Whenever I feed yogurt, it's because I'm trying to mask the flavor of medications, otherwise I don't feed it.

Besides pellets, I keep processed foods to a minimum as much as possible with my flock. Just the way I've been. I know plenty of people who feed their birds pasta, breads, pizza and other foods! But my birds? Nope.

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
From the sounds of it, watery poop and the fact you took all seeds out of his diet, I think he was not eating enough. It's not good to remove seeds cold turkey, some birds will starve to death. It's okay to give him one tablespoon of seeds a day. They need protein too, which seeds provide. Millet is not that high in fat, and most seed mixes have wheat grains and canary grass seed as well. the fatty seeds are safflower and sunflower. Remove all sunflower from the diet, besides an occasional treat if you like.
The ideal diet would be something like
25% pellets
25% seeds
45% vegetables( green leafy, orange coloured, variety is better- sprouts)
5% grains ( cooked quinoa, buckwheat)

To provide vegetables for the entire day would be difficult as they should be removed every 3 hours ( 2 if you live in hot humid area ), so u would need to provide 3-4 vegetable meals to fulfil this diet, unless you also dehydrate vegetables which should last all day in the cage under the right conditions ( not too hot and humid ) .

So even if you fulfill a diet like this :
25% seeds
40% pellets
35% vegetables
It's still acceptable imo. Just do the best you can without starving your little one :)

This is how I manage:

This is what I feed::grey:

Always in cage throughout day:

Small amount of seed at bottom perch. (2 Tablespoons if your bird is a seed junky so it doesn't starve while it converts to the diet- remove sunflower and flax seed too high in fat!)

Roudybush pellets / zupreem natural mixed in for variety

Roudybush pellets in a foraging cup with dehydrated banana,apple, kale, carrot, green pepper, brocolli, peas, red pepper. I use a dehydrator - this is optional but it is really nice having dry veges in her cage all day too if you miss a meal due to real life demands)

Leave the healthy foods higher up in the cage to entice them to play with it, taste it, eat it.

Morning:

The monthly chop I cook then store into zip bags and freeze and unthaw for daily use overnight, then reheat 5-10 sec in microwave. (Be careful of hot spots)

Everything cooked:

Cooked quinoa , buckwheat (1 cup each)
Green beans
Cooked sweet potato
Carrot
Brocolli
Cauliflower
Peas
Corn
Asparagus or boy choy

You can mash this up if your bird prefers it this way, baby tiels usually prefer it mashed abit.

*You can use frozen veges and cook them for 5 minutes too. Be wary of Lima beans or certain beans in frozen packaging, they need to be soaked and cooked for a long time. Green beans are safe and cook fast.

Afternoon:
Raw chop
Kale , brocolli, carrot
Every second day add some fruit, apples ,kiwi, bananas grapes strawberries(whatever's on hand)

Day:
Sprouted seeds
(Tops brand- All in one seed mix)
Organic sunflower seed
A seed mix that can be soaked together 8-12 hours:
All organic: Kamut, spelt, pumpkin, barley, buckwheat, millet , sunflower, safflower, alfalfa, brocolli seed.

Optional treat once per week:

Birdie bread

[ame="https://youtu.be/WwYoZVFyV3M"]Birds muffin - YouTube[/ame]
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup almond flour( can substitute for whole wheat flour/corn meal/ whole oat flour)
1 -2 egg
1 cup shredded veges( carrot , kale, anything your bird won't eat normally)
1/4 cup ground natural pellets (roudybush or zupreem I use)
1 banana ( or 1/2 cup applesauce)
Water (til soft and wet)

Optional bird bread additions:
1/2 cup cooked strawberries/raspberries
1 teaspoon sesame seed / chia seed/ hemp seed
1 teaspoon organic pumpkin seed
2 -3 teaspoons of seed mix if this bird is a fussy seed junkie

Coconut oil is safe for light greasing for birds or use muffin papers.
I cook at low temperature for 30-40 minutes , 300 Fahrenheit, but I watch and check every 5-10 minutes as it can vary per oven.
Once toothpick comes out clean it is cooked! Feel free to portion and freeze in zip lock baggies, airlocked contrainer etc.

I add abit of seeds in my bird muffins then hang them on a skewer in the cage and my birds loveee eating and foraging through them !

Please update us , I hope you made sure he is eating enough :)

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
From the sounds of it, watery poop and the fact you took all seeds out of his diet, I think he was not eating enough. It's not good to remove seeds cold turkey, some birds will starve to death. It's okay to give him one tablespoon of seeds a day. They need protein too, which seeds provide. Millet is not that high in fat, and most seed mixes have wheat grains and canary grass seed as well. the fatty seeds are safflower and sunflower. Remove all sunflower from the diet, besides an occasional treat if you like.
The ideal diet would be something like
25% pellets
25% seeds
45% vegetables( green leafy, orange coloured, variety is better- sprouts)
5% grains ( cooked quinoa, buckwheat)

To provide vegetables for the entire day would be difficult as they should be removed every 3 hours ( 2 if you live in hot humid area ), so u would need to provide 3-4 vegetable meals to fulfil this diet, unless you also dehydrate vegetables which should last all day in the cage under the right conditions ( not too hot and humid ) .

So even if you fulfill a diet like this :
25% seeds
40% pellets
35% vegetables
It's still acceptable imo. Just do the best you can without starving your little one :)

This is how I manage:

This is what I feed::grey:

Always in cage throughout day:

Small amount of seed at bottom perch. (2 Tablespoons if your bird is a seed junky so it doesn't starve while it converts to the diet- remove sunflower and flax seed too high in fat!)

Roudybush pellets / zupreem natural mixed in for variety

Roudybush pellets in a foraging cup with dehydrated banana,apple, kale, carrot, green pepper, brocolli, peas, red pepper. I use a dehydrator - this is optional but it is really nice having dry veges in her cage all day too if you miss a meal due to real life demands)

Leave the healthy foods higher up in the cage to entice them to play with it, taste it, eat it.

Morning:

The monthly chop I cook then store into zip bags and freeze and unthaw for daily use overnight, then reheat 5-10 sec in microwave. (Be careful of hot spots)

Everything cooked:

Cooked quinoa , buckwheat (1 cup each)
Green beans
Cooked sweet potato
Carrot
Brocolli
Cauliflower
Peas
Corn
Asparagus or boy choy

You can mash this up if your bird prefers it this way, baby tiels usually prefer it mashed abit.

*You can use frozen veges and cook them for 5 minutes too. Be wary of Lima beans or certain beans in frozen packaging, they need to be soaked and cooked for a long time. Green beans are safe and cook fast.

Afternoon:
Raw chop
Kale , brocolli, carrot
Every second day add some fruit, apples ,kiwi, bananas grapes strawberries(whatever's on hand)

Day:
Sprouted seeds
(Tops brand- All in one seed mix)
Organic sunflower seed
A seed mix that can be soaked together 8-12 hours:
All organic: Kamut, spelt, pumpkin, barley, buckwheat, millet , sunflower, safflower, alfalfa, brocolli seed.

Optional treat once per week:

Birdie bread

Birds muffin - YouTube
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup almond flour( can substitute for whole wheat flour/corn meal/ whole oat flour)
1 -2 egg
1 cup shredded veges( carrot , kale, anything your bird won't eat normally)
1/4 cup ground natural pellets (roudybush or zupreem I use)
1 banana ( or 1/2 cup applesauce)
Water (til soft and wet)

Optional bird bread additions:
1/2 cup cooked strawberries/raspberries
1 teaspoon sesame seed / chia seed/ hemp seed
1 teaspoon organic pumpkin seed
2 -3 teaspoons of seed mix if this bird is a fussy seed junkie

Coconut oil is safe for light greasing for birds or use muffin papers.
I cook at low temperature for 30-40 minutes , 300 Fahrenheit, but I watch and check every 5-10 minutes as it can vary per oven.
Once toothpick comes out clean it is cooked! Feel free to portion and freeze in zip lock baggies, airlocked contrainer etc.

I add abit of seeds in my bird muffins then hang them on a skewer in the cage and my birds loveee eating and foraging through them !

Please update us , I hope you made sure he is eating enough :)

I like your receipt! I think I'm going to hit the market today and get the goodies..maybe this is something Beebs (and Amy) will enjoy.
THANK YOU!

Jim

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
Hey no problem, it is a big hit with all my birds, budgies and tiel. I use mini muffin papers and hang them on a skewer and the birds ravage them! I put seeds in mine as a foraging treat , they don't eat much of the muffin this way but even if they did it would have nutrients and vitamins in it :) :grey::greenyellow::whiteblue:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Whoever said birdies are cheap to feed,needs a good slap in the head lol..but nothing but the best for my two kids...I think they eat better than I do!

So..I just got back from shopping..EVERYTHING is totally 100% organic..I even read the ingredience :p

So here is what I got..
Corn meal
pumpkin and flax seed
whole wheat flour
hemp seed hearts
chia seed
brown rice flour
'nana
blue berries
diced cauli and broc
diced peppers

So...i'm going to go by your instructions and make a dozen muffins..
Time to get cookin" :eek: :p

Jim

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
Lol well you don't have to add all those seeds, I just use the birds seed mix and pumpkin seeds as it's optional. Also , whole wheat flour is probably a lot cheaper then rice flour. I personally don't feed my birds rice, I've read brown rice can contain arsenic is small quantities . I grind up almonds myself to make almond flour, almonds I buy from the dollar store.

I couldn't respond to you privately, not until I get 20 messages or something, so here is my response :

Try more bananas or applesauce for more taste, I add raspberries and bananas to mine maybe that's why mine are sweet enough :) it's okay if the muffin sticks to the paper, birds don't normally eat the paper, but if they do, it's digestible, being muffin papers. But if you want to grease them that's fine too! :)

You can try 250 degrees instead just takes longer :)

Well the best thing about the recipe is it's easy to improvise!

Temperatures do vary per oven, and mine is not a new oven, sorry about that!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Lol well you don't have to add all those seeds, I just use the birds seed mix and pumpkin seeds as it's optional. Also , whole wheat flour is probably a lot cheaper then rice flour. I personally don't feed my birds rice, I've read brown rice can contain arsenic is small quantities . I grind up almonds myself to make almond flour, almonds I buy from the dollar store.

I couldn't respond to you privately, not until I get 20 messages or something, so here is my response :

Try more bananas or applesauce for more taste, I add raspberries and bananas to mine maybe that's why mine are sweet enough :) it's okay if the muffin sticks to the paper, birds don't normally eat the paper, but if they do, it's digestible, being muffin papers. But if you want to grease them that's fine too! :)

You can try 250 degrees instead just takes longer :)

Well the best thing about the recipe is it's easy to improvise!

Temperatures do vary per oven, and mine is not a new oven, sorry about that!

Thanks for your reply..my oven is also ancient,but me being a "microwave man" don't use it much lol.
Yeah,some of the "organic" things were quite pricey! I think a 1.5 lb of the brown rice flour was $13..chia seed pumpkin/flax $8..think all in all I spent $50...but there is also enough left for a number of batches.
Price doesn't really matter,because the health and wellbeing of my two "kids" is all that matters!

Jim

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
Ah I see :) yes we do love to spoil our birdies! Those organic seeds don't need to be in the mix, so people on a budget can make this recipe with just cornmeal and regular bird seed mix , with veggies, fruits and ground pellets,

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
[ame="https://youtu.be/0OuKiWJS7kQ"]Cockatiel parrot treat bird muffin on skewer - YouTube[/ame]

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!
I'll refrain from giving advice... Patagonians are as different from cockatiels as night from day but, I will greet you and say that I'm glad you're here.
Doncha just love having a place to go to share photos of your pet's poop, and have such a great discussion about it? :)

Most Reactions