Proper paperwork

SWEETPEA

Apr 6, 2010
TWO QUESTIONS FOR THE PROSPECTIVE PARROT OWNER.

1. What documentation, vaccines, leg rings, etc.whatever, should a parrot (Blue Fronted Amazon) have , in order to be in compliance with all legality, in the U.S.?

2. Is it legal for a person to walk around , in public with his parrot?
:green:
Thanks.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Ok the bird should have a certificate to verify his or hers sex if the breeder does the DNA for you if not you can get this done yourself the bird should also have a close rung band on its leg which will identify the breeder the bird was bread from some birds have these some don't in some parts of the US it is illigal to sell a bird that is not banded and as for walking around with him or her in public I can't see it being a problem as tons of people keep parrots as pets our days hope this helps :)

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
1. I don't think there is any. There aren't really any standard vax requirements for birds like there are for cats and dogs because there aren't really any diseases they're prone to that can be vaccinated against.

2. I sure hope so because I'm out with Kazi all the time!

OP
S

SWEETPEA

Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for the answers. Someone said to me I should contact the Fish and Wild Game or something. Anyway, I checked, and she has no band around her feet. I did go to the Fish and Wild Game or whatever on the internet, and it looks like they have enough legaleze there to drive someone mad. I got this bird from some lady claiming to be a breeder, if I recall, in NJ, some 3 years ago.

Anyway thanks.:green:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
In Sweden we use the CITS as documentation. I think that it is international used

What I know there is not any restriction regard walking around with the perrot

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Kazi came to me with no band. They don't have to have one and plenty of people have them removed so it's not unusual to find an unbanded parrot.

If you're concerned about the laws for exotics for your state go to your states Department of Natural Resources site. They should have the info for you.

Gshepdog

Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Parrots
Dusty 35 y/o Orange Wing Amazon and Perrott 18 y/o Double Yellow Headed Amazon
In all the years I have owned parrots, I have never been asked for paperwork. My OWA was bought in a pet store in 1978. We believe she was imported which they did in those days. No band.

My DYH is 18 years old and has a closed band but no paperwork. She was also purchased in a pet store but the previous owner did not mention any paperwork.

I know for a fact that the OWA is a female and strongly believe the DYH is also female.

Lee

OP
S

SWEETPEA

Apr 6, 2010
I called an Avian vet in NYC, and he pretty much said : "Who cares"?

He also said that if I was really concerned, I could have a vet put the ring on her foot, no big deal.

I told him I was concerned since the U.S. is now a Police State tyranny, and he said...not to worry.

Thanks.:green:

Most Reactions

Latest posts