No holding

izmail1215

Sep 12, 2010
Media
Houston
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon-Sam
So my 3 yr old amazon just simply dose not want to be held or picked up ever, only on this blue chair he will climb on, and that's how I put him in his cage or move around, give baths and retrieve him after he is done with his daily flying lol. Is it possible to be a good responsible parrot owner with out manhandling my parrot? He dose LOVE head scratches, foot rubs, beach scratches and massages lol.

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
You could try using a perch to transport him, and if he uses it, cut off a small part of the perch every day untill he is near your hand, perhaps then he will get used to your hand. If that dosn't work, you could give him lots of indirect attention, (reading or doing other activities near him, just having you near him might be enough attention.) I do know of pet birds that never like being held but can still be lovely companions. Is your bird new?

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
How long have you had Sam?

Birds bond to our faces. So if you hold your hands near your face when you're talking or interacting with Sam it might help him learn to not fear your hands. Kazi wasn't a fan of hands at first (anyone's) but after a week of doing the hands near face thing he was fine and would step up without biting or freaking out.

I think parrots think we are our heads only. Kazi still doesn't realize my legs and feet are attached to me I don't think!

OP
izmail1215

izmail1215

Sep 12, 2010
Media
Houston
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon-Sam
Thanks for replying, I had Sam science he was 8 months, it's not s trust issue, he trust me about 89% it's just that he dose not want to be picked up. I can touch play or what ever. It he know when I try to get him to step up he will bite. I have. I problem with not picking him up but is it normal to own a parrot with out holding?:greenyellow:

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
Casper's a bit tetchy at the moment because he is moulting and the new feathers can be rather sensitive whilst they are growing. Touch him in the wrong place and you get a feathery green bundle of fury. Could this be your problem?

Clueless

Feb 14, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Secret & MC, two blue front amazons
I dream of holding friendly parrots. . . . . MC remains afraid of hands - thanks to Kazi's parent for that tip on hands!

Secret - if there isn't a lot of room between the stick and the hand . . . .it can get ugly quick. For the people that say the eyes pin prior to? Secret manages a same time eye pin/same time bite philosophy . . . .

enda88

Aug 14, 2012
sorry to hijack your thread, but I worry about this myself with our amazon, hes still currently being hand rared, and is eager to climb onto our hands and up onto our shoulders at present, but i fear that this may leave him over time and he may become very unwilling to be handled, and bite. what is the liklihood of this happening??

thanks

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes this is a trust issue. After 3 yrs you should be able to do about anything with your fid. He'd let his "mate" do anything. The bird is not bonded to you, yes he's a bit young but he should have a favorite by now. Somewhere/sometime that bird has had an issue with hands. Trust is the only way your going to the results your looking for. How you get there is up to you and what works for your fid. I fear your zon thinks he's the flock leader and no one is worthy of his status. You need to be confident ,outgoing and affectionate to elevate yourself in his eyes. You need to be more of a leader or at least an equal. Try and see the world though his eyes, there's a reason for every thing he does. Ask him to step up and when he doesn't , walk away and don't ask again, act like he's missing out on something. When he does step up ,put him back down on his cage and tell him what a good bird he is. Give him atreat and walk away. Leave every interaction with him ,with him wanting more of you instead of you you smothering him . If your pushing yourself on him then he's calling the shots by telling you no. He needs to decide that he wants to be with you. Don't try and convince him, just give him a "taste" and leave him wanting.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts