Prospective 'Too owner

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'd say go and have a look at many different species. Let them pick you, rescues are a great opportunity for meeting birds and you don't normally have to deal with the the teenage brat time. Also they often don't ask for the money a breeder wants, often just a one-off fee than a yearly donation to them. Meaning you have more money for the bird's needs as opposed as money for the bird. I'd have a look at some smaller species too, like conures, senegals meyers ETC. You'd be surprised how amazing they can be. Green Cheeks in particular are often little balls of hyper-energy. A CAG does sound like they could be right for you too. All birds have potential to be great pets just depends on how much work you do with them

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Joining in late, but I absolutely adore my Goffins. You sound like a great candidate, but tbh the Doberman would give me pause. Yours may have a suppressed prey drive, but the price of a random outburst of aggression is terribly steep. You'd need a rigid and disciplined protocol to separate the two - difficult but not impossible. There are breeds that seem to well tolerate birds; I've had many Great Danes, and currently also have a Schnauzer and Brussels Griffon. Never trust them together alone, but to date they have been wonderful. However, years ago I lost a Citron to a Bouvier des Flanders, so please do research on Dobermans.

Goffins are little clowns with tremendously loving and endearing personalities, generally devoid of the extreme neuroses typical of many toos. Even my wild-caught female loves to cuddle, but they can be independent. Goffins need plenty of one-on-one time, but placing them in an oversized cage with a variety of toys will keep them occupied.

IMO cockatoos are best kept in pairs or small flocks, but their personalities permit bonding with peers *and* humans.

My best advice is to deeply ponder the safety of a small bird with your doberman, and spend time at either a rescue, breeder, or pet store with one or more Goffins.

Last edited:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Goffins? CAG? Amazon? Severe? Go volunteer at a rescue for a while and you will get to know so much about all different species and help you know what would work well with your living situation. And, as others have mentioned, getting a bird that picks you is a wonderful thing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts