Prosthesis for birds

Adjudicator

Apr 22, 2020
South Carolina
Parrots
Working on it
This is a debatable topic apparently, as some think that of the bird can't live normally then it should be put down. I tend to find the majority of those people have never had a bird for a pet who they adored...
The reason I am opening this discussion because we have just found an African grey that was rescued after it was found in a filthy environment and mice had chewed his feet off. God that **** is heart breaking.
So this baby is 10 years old and has recovered pretty damn well considering.. the rescue is wanting to rehome him and we are seriously thinking about it. As I am a sculptor I am now looking back into prosthetics and how they may help him have a better quality of life...
In reality to me, any bird needs a helluva lot of attention and love... This one may need just a little more.. ieani have a teenage daughter.. so I understand mood swings and needing attention lol.. any thoughts from you guys regarding this topic?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Handicapped Parrots that have among other things lost claws and legs too poorly designed cages, other parrots and other animals.

There is an active data base on the Web found by searching: Handicapped Birds, Handicapped parrots. Within this area you will find active and open groups, and individuals who are working everyday to ease the life of their Birds.

Within Parrot Forums are several members who have Parrots that require additional help.

Within this group, I'm not aware of anyone that would find ending a Parrot's life because of a limitations acceptable.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have zero experience with either African greys or "special needs" parrots but good on you for considering adopting this one!

One of our members, Britney0208, has a Vasa parrot with one leg totally missing and the other quite badly disabled but she has been able to give him a good quality of life. Here's a link to one of her threads that shows the sort of modifications she made to his cage.

http://www.parrotforums.com/cages/78188-he-s-avoiding-entirety-his-cage.html

I think she was at one stage considering a 3D printed prosthetic but unfortunately she hasn't been around on the forum for a while so not sure if she went through with that. But her Vasa seemed to be doing pretty well regardless!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, deep respect for considering a special needs parrot! Any bird that recovered from such harrowing loss deserves every possible consideration.

I assume some or all of the legs remain, the feet alone having been chewed? You might seek and correspond with an experienced avian vet to assess the possibilities. These days prosthetics are advanced and more easily made than ever.

Good luck, keep us updated!

Most Reactions