Proud of my daughter and Skittles

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
I have a 20 year old daughter that has special needs. She loves pets, any type of pet. When she was younger, we had golden retrievers because even if she put her face in the dog's mouth, she would just get licked. We now have a Shih Tzu that just loves to be held by her. All the neighbors kid us that Kylie is a stuffed animal because she is never on the ground... So when I brought Skittles home, it was hard to convince her that she needs to be afraid of the beak, because Skittles could rip her finger off or slice through her face...

Then we went to a free flight event that Susan Hilliard put on in Arizona. Susan and everyone else was so wonderful with my daughter. Susan helped her hold all of the parrots...

1395951_10201336737553565_64985937_n_zpscc3777de.jpg

Unfortunately, that made Mollie even more determined that Skittles must be just as friendly as all of the other birds. Having known Skittles since she was brought into the rescue shelter, I knew that was not the case. She had bitten other volunteers and those were bloody bites. But that didn't scare Mollie...

When she gets home from school, she runs in to see Skittles. When she is on her computer, she has me move Skittles perch by her so they can be close. She talks and sings to Skittles. I have been working with both of them to try to get Skittles to step on Mollie. Skittles has a few times, but has always looked like she was ready to bite or just wanted to get off Mollie's arm.

This isn't the best photo, (out of focus and some movement) but what I love is when I put Skittles on Mollies hand, Skittles climb a little up her arm, (I'm thinking oh no, she is ready to bite Mollie's face) but Skittles just looked up at Mollie and was totally relaxed. Skittles didn't try to bite and wasn't trying to get back to me. She seemed happy to just hang out with Mollie. Wow, very cool!

mollie_skittles_zps9eb73669.jpg

If you are proud of Mollie too, make a post and I will share them with her.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, Mollie, you are so much braver than I am! Skittles looks so happy being there with you:) I am very proud of you for holding Skittles and keeping her safe and happy!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Don't right off their relationship yet [I know as parents we don't want anyone hurt]. My household is proof [of some of my birds]. That have changed their ways [one being my macaw] . If shes consistent and positive [you never know :) ]

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
Good job! Seems like she is doing all the right things to gain the trust, and friendship, of an amazingly gorgeous bird!!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
How brave you are, Molly! That beak would certainly intimidate me :). It is clear that Skittles knows that you're kind and gentle and wouldn't try to hurt him. Well done, girl!

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Wow! That's wonderful! :) skittles looks so calm and relaxed.

I love that photo with the blue front. He looks so angry! Or maybe just super excited? I love photos with macaws screaming, lol. Makes them look like exorcists!

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
Great job Molly!!! You must have a way with birds because he is looking at you like he totally trusts you. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Awesome Mollie :) it looks like you really have a way with birds! Beautiful pic of you and Skittles. Good for you!

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
So jealous, you got to hold a BTM... On your head! Whoohoo! I always loves seeing skittles too, great job!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Mollie, you must be a very good bird person for Skittles to trust you like that! I would be far too scared to let such a big bird sit on me! Well done. Keep on helping your Dad train Skittles, as it's very good for him to learn good manners. (I mean Skittles needs good manners. I'm sure your Dad is very well-mannered already :eek:)

I would just like to say you're a very pretty young lady and I just love your beautiful hair! I have a red-haired daughter too and her name is Ellie. Our birds are called Barney and Madge. We all say 'G'day to Mollie and Skittles' from Australia! XX

Trish

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Skittles looks so happy to be sitting on Mollies arm! He must feel how loved he is. Beautiful, brave young lady!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Mollie, Skittles and you look GREAT together. :)

I'd love to see more photos of the two of you together in the future. :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Please tell Mollie that she made MY day!

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Awesome job, Mollie! You're a far cry braver than I am! I'd be proud of you, too, just as your Dad is! Well done!

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
What a beautiful picture!!! You are a true animal lover!!! Animals always know when a person has a kind heart......Skittles knows he's loved......

Most Reactions

Latest posts