psittacosis question

RubyRose

Nov 9, 2014
australia
I have a pair of alexandrines around 14mths old.
About 4mths ago I got another 2 that were around the same age but not dna'd. After about 2 months the suspense was killing me so I got them surgically sexed. (I wasn't aware that they make a small hole in their side to insert the camera!!) Turns out I got a boy and girl yay!!
So after that I let them all out together but still caged seperate.
A week later the new male started doing this wierd head shake.
The next day my male started to do it too and by the end of the week all 4 were doing it. I called my avian vet and he had never heard of it. He didnt know what it was and wasnt at all concerned about it.
Another month or 2 went by and I decided to take them in for a check up.
They had no other symptom, just the head shake and occasional sneeze.
They tested positive for psittacosis.

So my question is...does anyone know how long do they take the meds for before they are not contagious anymore?? I understand its a 6wk course.

The vet couldnt tell me much about it at all.
My birds are always out of their cage during the day but now have to be confined to their cage while they are on the medication.
They have been on the medication for 4wks and still shaking their head.

Has anyone had their alex test positive?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You need to find a COMPETENT avian vet ASAP. An "avian vet" who cannot tell you about a well known illness or the treatment he's prescribed shouldn't be allowed to touch your bird. In fact, are you are he/she is actually an avian vet or just has some bird experience (not much) and is trying to tout themselves as an avian vet? For starters, surgical sexing hasn't been used for decades. Why? Because nowadays they can simply pull 3 or 4 feathers or clip a nail a little short (to get a drop of blood) and do DNA testing, which is every bit as accurate without having to stick a probe into your parrot. The fact your bird is sick and this vet 'knows nothing about it', can't tell you much about the treatment ext... is just very very concerning. PLEASE get your birds to an different AV for a second opinion. Psittacosis is a series disease and highly contagious. ALL your asymptomatic birds need to be tested and monitored carefully, and visibly ill ones need to be quarantined away from the rest in proper sick bird setups. You also need to monitor yourself, as it IS communicable to humans.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Here is a link covering some info about Psittacosis infection in humans and in birds. Though it is a curable (bacterial) disease in birds when caught before it is too progressed, this infection is taken seriously (by MOST avian vets!) because of the fact that it can be transmitted to humans. My ex told me that when he was a teen working in his parents pet shop he got it from cleaning the budgie aviary and said he was VERY ill for a considerable amount of time! When you go to clean the birds, I'd maybe wear a mask and shower after to prevent transmission to you or other humans in your household.

Psittacosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope your birds get the treatment they need asap and feel better soon. Look for a "qualified" avian vet. One who has a fairly large proportion of their regular clientele as bird patients. I know that unfortunately some "all species" vets out there say that they see birds when they really have no business doing so.

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Tetracycline and Doxycycline injections at 5 day intervals over a 45 day period are the popular treatment choices, but some veterinarians prescribe a water soluble alternative because the continued injections make a bird's breast injection sites pretty sore.....the problem is that with the water soluble alternative it is almost impossible to determine what dosage of medication a bird actually gets and there is the possibility that many birds refuse to drink medicated water.

Ridding a bird of psittacosis (Chlamydophila psittaci ) is not the only problem owners are faced with, because the organism can live outside the host for up to a month or more in droppings, cage debris and protein material, so continued disinfecting of cages, perches and toys is necessary.....speak to your veterinarian about obtaining a suitable disinfectant, because most over-the-counter solutions are not suitable disinfectants.....

Good luck.....

OP
R

RubyRose

Nov 9, 2014
australia
Thank you everyone for your input. I often wonder if this vet knows anything and I will be taking my birds somewhere else. He was recommended by my local bird breeder and is a qualified avian vet with years of experience.

My 2 original alex's have been on the psittacosis powder for 4 wks. They drink the water just fine but tip it out constantly. I had moved them outside when they started treatment and we got our carpets professionally cleaned. I have 3 children aged 4, 8 & 10 and so far no one has caught anything from them.

I unfortunately sold the other 2 alex's before realising it was psittacosis but have been intouch with the new owners and they were taking their birds to the vet to be tested.

Holden1960

Oct 21, 2014
What part of Australia are you in Ruby,

We are in Melbourne and although we have needed needed nothing more than a check up at this stage, we have found an avian vet that came highly recommended to us.

PM me for details if this will help.

Cheers
HARRY

Most Reactions