Puff enjoying the sunshine

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
today was day 7, I've had her a week and she has come so far!!

thank god for Ivermectin and Baytril!! I gave her more Ivermectin today, so by tomorrow she should have kicked these little buggers to the curb!!....:eek:can I say that???

today was a BEAUTIFUL sunny day, so I put her outside so she could get some much needed vitamin D and some rays to help her just feel good! It would seem she loves the feel of the sun, she has been chirping of and off every few minutes.

then I had to bring her in -- there were too many bees
so I put her in our living room on the floor where she could catch some more rays
we have 6 windows so it's nice and bright

I took so many pics today, I hard a hard time choosing.

she still looks a little rough around the eyes, poor thing is going thru a molt too,not sure if it's a natural one or a forced one, but either way it's the last thing she needs right now. BUT she is a far cry from what she was a week ago.
she really is quite sweet:D

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I love that first pic, Beth: she's turning her little face up to the sun as if to say 'Ahhhh! I feel better now!' Keep on keeping on, Puff! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Puff looks soooo good now compared to day one! :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, Puff looks like a little man! And he certainly looks better than those first few photos! Glad he's doing better now! :)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
She's got such pretty coloring!!

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
What a cutie!!!!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I love that first pic, Beth: she's turning her little face up to the sun as if to say 'Ahhhh! I feel better now!' Keep on keeping on, Puff! :)

Oh me too Trish!, it's my favourite, gosh I took about 50 of them, just looking for that perfect picture.
I hope tomorrow is sunny, she'll be out in it again, while I sit with her, I need an excuse to sit down, lol.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
She's got such pretty coloring!!

yup, she does, I think she is very pretty. she doesn't have those nice deep colours that some budgies have, but she is white with a little bit of black.subtle but very pretty

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, Puff looks like a little man! And he certainly looks better than those first few photos! Glad he's doing better now! :)

gee Monica, I thought I had it right this time.:eek:
when I first got Puff, I thought he was a male, then someone on here thought it was a female.
so you think he's a male....hmmmm maybe I was right all along, ha ha

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Pink means male. White means female.

I could indeed be wrong, but cere looks pink to me! :) I guess if we knew Puff's age that might help! Being that he's a recessive pied, his eyes should remain dark. If male, cere will remain pink. If female, cere should change to white/blue/tan/brown colors. Well, hens shouldn't have a pink cere unless they are unweaned, so that's why I'm going with male!

Is there anything that can be done about the pet store?

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Pink means male. White means female.

I could indeed be wrong, but cere looks pink to me! :) I guess if we knew Puff's age that might help! Being that he's a recessive pied, his eyes should remain dark. If male, cere will remain pink. If female, cere should change to white/blue/tan/brown colors. Well, hens shouldn't have a pink cere unless they are unweaned, so that's why I'm going with male!

Is there anything that can be done about the pet store?

yes I knew about the colours of ceres, but it seems to be a bit complex when budgies are mainly white(or like you said recessive pied) I have to be honest, I know nothing about the mutations of budgies, I know more about cockatiels,lovebirds etc...unlike you who seem to know all the mutations:D
I was told he's about 6 -9 months old. the bars on his head are not that far back and given he's moulting, he could very well be around that age.

that pet store has been around for years, to an untrained eye they seem pretty good....and yes I have seen worse. but since I know a 'thing or two' about birds;) I see plenty in there. I always bring it to the managers attention, but without the owner approving medications etc...it will always fall on deaf ears. the manager has told me his hands are tied.
Now if this was an AG, Macaw or Eclectus, I think it would be a different story

they're not totally bad people, just daft when it comes to treating birds:rolleyes:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I figured you knew about the regular mutations but wasn't sure about recessive pied and albino mutations. :) I would have actually figured him around 4-5 months in age but don't take my word on it! Seriously! LOL

I was just thinking about taking it to the local athorities and seeing if they could make the pet store clean up their act????

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I figured you knew about the regular mutations but wasn't sure about recessive pied and albino mutations. :) I would have actually figured him around 4-5 months in age but don't take my word on it! Seriously! LOL

I was just thinking about taking it to the local athorities and seeing if they could make the pet store clean up their act????

If most of the birds were like that, I would definitely try something.
It's the occasional bird that I see in there with issues.
with their larger size birds, they treat them pretty well, they are out of their cages for most of the day, fed veggies/fruits etc.... and their cages are kept clean and are the appropriate size.

It tends to be the smaller birds. their cages are kept fairly clean, the problem is they hire students to clean the cages and feed the birds. these students are not trained to know what a ill bird looks like. the manager knows a sick bird when he sees it, but you'd have to smack the owners in the head to get them to see that they have a sick bird.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo

when I first got Puff, I thought he was a male, then someone on here thought it was a female.

I'm the one who thought female. Still do. But I'm not expert in budgie, could totally be wrong....in time it might be easier to tell as well.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots

I'm the one who thought female. Still do. But I'm not expert in budgie, could totally be wrong....in time it might be easier to tell as well.

I knew it was you, Echo, I just didn't want to mention your name :)
to me it doesn't matter what sex Puff is, boy or girl I just want it to be healthy.

maybe in time we can get a better idea on the sex.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots

Most Reactions