Putting a deposit down Tuesday.

Butters

Jan 4, 2013
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
White Bellied Caique- coming home in June/July!
Full album of pictures :]
As of Tuesday I will be the proud new momma to a White Bellied Caique!

After much deliberation and many trips to many bird stores my boyfriend has broken down.

The little baby we will be placing a deposit on is about three weeks old, it's sex will be determined in a few days. I have all male animals, I am biased to having males... But for some reason seeing that huge naked head on that flimsy looking neck peering over the edge of the plastic container in its incubator- it doesn't seem to matter.

I have never had a bird before so I'm not sure if I'm about to panic or party. I have asked so many questions at so many places I feel as if I have it scripted. But it's so comforting to have identical answers from every place we've been to.

The eclectus is my dream bird- I will undoubtedly have one someday, but I have nowhere near as much bird confidence as I feel I would need to have one. My boyfriend actually decided on a caique even though on the first few trips to bird stores I had to practically pry his fingers off the doorframe to get into the building. He saw a little bird plopped head first in a food cup, legs straight out, as if someone had just tossed him there on their walk past the cage. It wasn't until this little thing was trying to clutch his own head in his foot, stuffing his face into the cage bars as if he was at odds with himself that looked like it should have been a two bird battle that Nick would even joke of the idea of having a bird. This bird in particular had so much life in such a little body and he was interested but "not sold." Trying to main strong I suppose. :09:

It's been a few weeks and almost completely on a whim he asks if I want to go look at some birds... I was very skeptical, I figured this was another opportunity to tease me and then tell me no. My birthday had just passed and I wanted a bird - primarily the *okay* to have one - for my birthday. It came and went and he said nothing about it. I didn't push the issue. Apparently I have gotten the okay, because I was instructed to make the final phone call today!:D :D

I'm very excited. And twice as scared! :eek:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Congrats your forthcoming new feathered friend.....

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Im soo !! excited for you .You have know Idea what a great choice you made [I own 2 caiques cause I like them so much.My first bird was a caique [I liked. their size I had no idea] I remember looking at Greta in the little bin too.I like mine to be in a BIG wide cage with TONS of toys. They like to play on swings and boings and dont forget the foot toys .They like to Play,Play,play. Their hearty eaters so more than pellets and seed and fruits and veg [they like variety] I put mine on a schedule[meaning when they come out of their cages] so theres structure and dont turn into monsters LOL. Keep things they cant have away like pens or something unsafe [cause if they get it they think its theirs and dont want to let you have it . LOL please familiarize with all the things in your house that can hurt your bird. They like to be in a busy room. [thought of names ?] Its going to be fun good luck :)

OP
B

Butters

Jan 4, 2013
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Thank you! We haven't thought of any names yet, and looking around now I'm going to have to remove everything from my house! I have so much little nonsense here and there its going to have a field day tearing our house to shreds!! I have heard they are excellent eaters and like variety. Is a store bought branded mix suggested or is the open Per Pound style food at most bird places a better option?

My biggest fear is creating a monster, so any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated! ;)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
When I buy pellets and seed mix[I buy a different one all the time .] fruits and vegs everday .Everyother day I do a 12 bean ,veg ,pasta mix [I make up and freeze] lots of ideas on that sort of thing. Monsters -dont let them sit there and nip you. Alot of times when I take mine out [when yours is older] I put the on a playstand first ,they then let me know when they want to come see me. Their like kids going out for recess .They dont want to be mauled by us. They want to play!! You know about the things in your house like no candles ,air freshener, oven cleaner.Teflon pans , I clean with vinager [nothing else is safer] I take no chances .Please make sure you know all this stuff you can kill your bird. On a Lighter note when we brought Sammy home we put him on the back of the couch on a sheet and foot toys. We let him be curious and come see us [no pressure ] and thats how we built are bond .Sammy loves us to death . :)

OP
B

Butters

Jan 4, 2013
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Yes we definitely made sure Dangers were some of the first things we learned about birds in general- before we even settled on a particular bird. I've also heard of freezing food to keep things simple. It's certainly going to be a learning experience, but everyone has to start from somewhere. :)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
You chose a caique as a beginner bird to a eclectus0.0, I would have gone with the Ekkie you are in for a treat for sure, but caiques are... Well crazy lol. They are so energetic and fun, but they are headstrong as hell. I've worked with many and now have just come to own one, but they are such great birds.... I just think I'd get an Ekkie and work up to a caique:p.

OP
B

Butters

Jan 4, 2013
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
I was too nervous for an eclectus because I have heard they have more emotional sensitives- where as the caiques are just Happy! (Unless of course they're in random devil mode) but so many people have said they have or know of ekkies with no feathers due to plucking. I would be devastated to have my dream bird a bare naked body with a bright green head. The plucking and nutritional requirements of the eclectus spooked me. :(

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
Congratulations! As one who is owned by a caique, I'm thrilled for you! Eliza was my first bird in years (and we're talking a LOT of years!), so I have some understanding of your situation. There are so many wonderful people on this forum who are far more knowledgeable than I, so I would not presume to try and give "expert" advice. It sounds like you've done a lot of research; all I can say on that point is never stop doing the research just because you've brought the bird home. I learn something new almost every day by continuing to peruse this forum, as well as the books I've acquired. The other thing I've tried to do (and I'll be the first to admit this isn't earth-shatteringly original!), is basically set Eliza up to succeed. It's no secret caiques are headstrong little birds and are going to do what they want to do. You might be able to slow them down, but you ain't gonna stop 'em! Thus I've tried to keep the environment in the house (as well as myself and my own attitudes) attuned to this, so that any "trouble" she gets into isn't really trouble at all, if you see what I mean. This isn't fixed, of course--what was totally ignored by her yesterday may well become of vital interest to her today; thus, it's a matter of being flexible as well.

I doubt this isn't anything you don't already know; however, as a fellow novice caique-person, I hope this is of some help.

Most importantly of all--have fun! They are delightful little birds! My wish for you is that you and your new baby enjoy the sort of bond I have with Eliza. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

With all best wishes,
Derek
PS As I alluded to in another post here, I can assure you that obedience training is a snap. Or at least it was in my case, as I pretty much do everything Eliza wants me to do at this point... ;)

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
eclectus diet and so in isnt so bad it just seems scary but really it is easy to get down to a science with chop mixs and bird breads and so on:). As for the plucking usually they have had to have a bad history to pluck, ive met some pretty strong eclectus for what they were through so i doubt if you got a baby youd make it pluck:p. Look on the eclectus section of the forums there is some great information there!

i cant wait to hear about your caique, i love that it is a white bellied like mine:).

OP
B

Butters

Jan 4, 2013
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
I'm always browsing for information, I work with people who have many birds so they are being a big help, I spend a lot of my time reading posts and then just researching general information. I hope to also set my baby up to succeed, I do not want to create a monster!

After I get this whole bird mom thing down, the eclectus with be on the horizon. Nick is very excited about this baby, once it's home and he falls in love it will be a done deal ;)

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
I'm always browsing for information, I work with people who have many birds so they are being a big help, I spend a lot of my time reading posts and then just researching general information. I hope to also set my baby up to succeed, I do not want to create a monster!

After I get this whole bird mom thing down, the eclectus with be on the horizon. Nick is very excited about this baby, once it's home and he falls in love it will be a done deal ;)

Oh, Eliza's STILL a monster! :D Seriously, it sounds like you have the situation well in hand, and I do apologize if I sounded presumptuous in giving out advice of any sort. I'm definitely not qualified to do so; I was just hoping my experiences as a novice would be of some help.

You know, one thing occurred to me this morning while thinking about this subject. (And it's not advice of any sort; more of a personal observation/reflection.) One of the wisest things I read while beginning my research was that the prospective bird owner should never apply the same sort of parameters as one would apply to a dog or a cat. Painfully obvious, I suppose, but still a very good point for the novice. And yet, as I think of it, I had a border terrier for 16 years. I've met people who like dogs and yet aren't crazy about terriers--what I always heard was that they're too headstrong (the terriers, not the people).

And I realized that was actually a lot of the attraction to me. And perhaps that's part of the reason I was drawn to caiques--the fact that they ARE very headstrong is--for me--very appealing. (Of course, it's easy for me to write that now as Eliza is currently in her cage, as opposed to trying to re-arrange all the letters on my keyboard...)
;)
Derek

Most Reactions