PVC Play stand

FinleyFeatherNugget

Jan 13, 2018
I've decided to build a PVC play stand for my conure, but I'm wondering what material I should use so that he can grip the poles? I'd like something colorful, so I looked at vet wrap, but i'm not sure if I should get that. If you have any suggestions please let me know! I'd like a product name if you've ever done this before or know what's best to use!

Thank you!

Chelsea304

Nov 2, 2015
Florida
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Echo) & White-Eyed Conure (Regen)
I used ace bandage for my PVC stand. Once it gets dirty and messy I just change it out! best of luck on your build! :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
When I make bungee on car seat perches from PVC, I use sisial rope and just wrap a layeron it. TIme consuming, but cheap and very grippy for birdy feets. Salty likes it. I've not heard complaint from those I make for people.

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
I used vet wrap on my PVC playstand, its completely fine and grip is good, just wrap plenty around it. Make sure the PVC isnt treated either and wipe it down with some soapy water or whatever you use to clean your cage.

This is one i built, i used 10 rolls of vet wrap but its cheap on amazon x

carl_power-albums-xander-quaker-parrot-picture19133-20180114-110938.jpg

Last edited:

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'd use both a combination of vet wrap and Sizal rope, keep different parts of the play stand interesting and different for the feet. As for the PVC just the basic stuff from a hardware store should do the trick, just make sure to give it a clean before setting it up as often stuff like that are coated in chemicals to stop them degrading in warehouses

cutex101

Mar 27, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Ok, so will the conure stay on the play stand? I am just new to owning a GCC friend and he seems to be all over the place. I can't keep up! So if I get something like this, will he stay on the play stand instead of taking off?

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Probably not. My GCC is similar to yours, always on the go and flying from his playstand to the the top of the door to his climbing net to my cockatiel’s cage and so on... there isn’t really a way to teach a flighted bird to stay put, other than putting lots of toys and treats on the playstand to make it more interesting for them. GCCs especially are normally very hyperactive and all over the place like yours is.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd has a variety of play stands but flits from one to the other then on the door tops window sills, floor and me. He is rarely still if he's not eating or sleeping. When I got him he was lightly clipped but now he's fully flighted and his joy when he realised he could fly well was palpable. I could never clip him again.

Most Reactions