Pyrrhura and Aratinga - Cagemates??

missylynn

Feb 23, 2011
Parrots
2 GCCs - Jinx & Bonsai
I have a male Sun Conure and am thinking of getting a Green Cheek Conure or a Crimson Bellied Conure, but I'm wondering how they'd do as cagemates. I do plan to quarantine first, but long story short, I'm looking to get a buddy for my Sun to keep him company when I'm away. How would they do in a cage together? I know Aratingas are bigger than Pyrrhuras, but not by much (roughly 20 to 30 grams bigger). And also, what if it turns out to be a female? Would a Pyrrhura and Aratinga ever consider breeding together, and if so, is it bad news for the babies or just something that is uncommon?

:rainbow1::smile015::orange:

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
Even if you got another sun, there is no guarantee that the birds would get along as cage mates, and another thing to remember, is if they do, they may bond with each other and say "forget you!"

OP
missylynn

missylynn

Feb 23, 2011
Parrots
2 GCCs - Jinx & Bonsai
Yeah, I am aware there is no guarantee, and if nothing else, we DO have a spare cage. I am more concerned about the two different genuses being together -- might it cause any problems? I'm especially curious about the whole "if it's a girl" thing. Would birds of a different genus mate and what would the repercussions be if they do?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Yeah, I am aware there is no guarantee, and if nothing else, we DO have a spare cage. I am more concerned about the two different genuses being together -- might it cause any problems? I'm especially curious about the whole "if it's a girl" thing. Would birds of a different genus mate and what would the repercussions be if they do?

Yes there is a great possibility they bond if you end up with a girl. However you can always ask for the bird to be DNA'D. That said if you did happen to have the misfortune of getting a girl & she laid, if you were certain the eggs would be fertile you can boil each egg as its laid, pop them under the hen wait 3 weeks then throw the eggs away.

I don't alway's agree with if you end up with a pair they don't want to be part of their human flock. I have a great relationship with my pairs. I had a pair of suns living in my house for years & they were fine with us but a bit aggressive towards visitors. But i would just put them back in their cage until the coast was clear.

If you do decide on another bird you would have to play it by ear & just see how the 2 birds get on & always have a back up plan or plan 2 in place should the exercise turn pear shape.

ralstonka

Apr 10, 2011
None, CA
Parrots
Cleo & Sunny [Sun Conure Pair]
Opy [Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel]
Ella [RIP - Pearl Cockatiel]
Cages placed next to each other (but not touching) would probably be enough for companionship. My male Cockatiel loves to watch the Conures in the house.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
I keep my sun with my gc. But not everyone can. And if they do breed
Odds are it won't be fertile. I know one who bred gcc with suns and it took 9 years to get them to lay fertile eggs. She raised em and kept em. Its the only ones I know of.
But there healthy as can be. I don't recommend hybrids though

Most Reactions