Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
Hi all I have 2 questions here that are totally unrelated but I'm asking them both here to save space lol

1stly
can someone who feeds harrisons pellets please reply with the ingredients list if there is one
also has anyone heard of vetafarm pellets?
These are the only 2 brands available in nz and i Want to make the best choice

Also DNA sexing
I believe it can be done from the toe nail as well as a blood feather
does anyone have an idea on what ages it can be done at

The breeder says I can bring my baby home whenever as I have had hand feeding experiance and he is happy with how I went at feeding babies the other day
but as Im hoping for a boy I want DNA done 1st
they were born 1st September so are approx 5 weeks and just getting feathers now

I can't wait I'm super excited

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
DNA testing can be done by either a blood sample (generally a drop or two from clipping a toenail a little further than normal) or feathers ( generally a few feathers plucked from the chest) and can be done from birth, you can also do a DNA test from the eggshell if you can identify which bird came from which egg.

As far as the formula for Harrison's, there are different formula's for their many different pelleted diet's, heres a link to their website that lists the ingredients in their pelleted foods.

Premium Certified Organic Pet Bird Foods. Harrison's Bird Foods - let the results speak for themselves.

OP
D

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010

21yrs old
Thanks bobby much appreciated

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
I have tried the VetAfarm pellets, but neither of my birds liked them. Eddie shakes his head furiously if he gets one in his mouth lol. Buddy just picks around them :rolleyes:

I am going to get a hold of some Harrisons as I have only heard good things about them. Only problem is trying to find someone that stocks them. Can you get them easily in NZ?

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
LOL Bobby, I actually already had that page bookmarked, I just gotta get off my bum and order them. All those locations are a long way from where I live so I have to ship them over. Australia is a big place ;)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Just a suggestion, don't order to much at a time, and store it in the freezer, it has no preservatives so it can go stale after opening :)

OP
D

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
1 September 2010

21yrs old
Here in nz there is only 1 place that stocks it but they will courier it anywhere in nz
but at $19.50 a 450g bag it's pretty pricey
they say that an Alex would only need about 1 tbls a day but Persinally I think that it would be closer to 2 or 3
it keeps for 6-8 weeks after opening in a dark place
it can bevfrizen but that kills alot of the nutrients in it

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I store bags of Harrisons in freezer when I get the ones from a Phoenix Landing seminar because they sell a 5 pound bag for $30. My vet sells it for over $40. The ingredient list is way to long to put here and can be found on the web site. Rosie eats about 4 oz. per day and she is a little girl bird too. Correct there are different formulas and sizes of the pellets.

Most Reactions