Quaker at pet store....

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
Actually I met a blue quaker parrot yesterday at a pet store....(not where I would like to meet a potential pet....but....) it was a special order that wasn't picked up. It was soooo sweet & cuddly. Problem is $800.00 is extremely over-priced. I did a quick research and didn't even see a breeder for blue quakers in Michigan, but they average around $200.00 elsewhere....ugh.....Still would prefer to go the rescue route....any ideas? I like both type of birds (African Gray for their intelligence and interaction) and can have 2 birds if I desire.... I do know that I'm not fond of conures...bad experiences around 2 that I have known and their noisy screech is harsh on the ears....I know all birds are noisy, but not so high-pitched and continuous.....any thoughts????

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
it's entirely up to you, go where your heart tells you....technically you could 'rescue' the bird from the store.

In Canada we pay 350.00 for greens, 450.00 for blues and cinnamons or pallids are in the high 6-8 range....

I am looking for a quaker as well, so please let me know if you decide to get this one.

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Cosmo-Blue Quaker born 11/11/2013; Mattie-Green Quaker born 3/2010; Tiki, Timneh African Grey, RIP 11/2017; Pogo, Congo African Gray
Crimson, you may be interested in the link that Zackbri submitted....it is for a store in Canada. I don't think it would be very easy to bring a live creature over the border to Michigan, but would be easy for you.....they have blue quakers and other varieties. Prices seem reasonable.

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Also on Petfinder there's a young blue quaker in Windsor, Ont.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
$800 is high for a blue Quaker; the highest price I've ever seen for one in upstate New York is $400. Typically, they're not even that expensive.

Quakers are typically intelligent and interactive, much like Greys. They are potentially good talkers too, though aren't as accurate at mimicing voices and sounds as Greys usually are. Quakers and Greys can peacefully co-exist in the same household, if you should decide to have both types of parrots. I know of a few people who have both a Grey and a Quaker, and, while they may not get to be best buddies, they do get along reasonably well.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Crimson, you may be interested in the link that Zackbri submitted....it is for a store in Canada. I don't think it would be very easy to bring a live creature over the border to Michigan, but would be easy for you.....they have blue quakers and other varieties. Prices seem reasonable.

thanks for the info, I am just doing my research on quakers.

If I do get one, it will be a baby,hand tamed/fed and most likely from a breeder, whom I am familiar with.

Windsor, is 4 hours away from me so that is a wee bit far.

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Windsor is a bit far and with border crossings....would not be easy. I do really like the pet store blue quaker, but it's incredibly over-priced. I'll go back in after Christmas, if he's still there maybe I'll make an offer.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I have paid for many birds from a pet store,(rescues mostly) like you said WAY over-priced....but I got Safari from *that* pet store, and just new we have to have him.

I hope it works out for you, no matter what you decide to get.

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
I'm going to have to pass on the petco blue quaker in Ann Arbor. It's on sale for $799. It's just waaaay to over-priced and it's tubby.....lol It's been on a mostly seed diet and while sweet and nice, I can't see waiting months for Gonzo's price to come down. Gonzo is less than a year old and in a glass cage.......

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Sorry that it couldn't work out for you to bring home the Quaker. In time, you and the right parrot will find each other.

I understand how the high price of a parrot can keep you from buying him. I've had that happen with a CAG, a Yellow-naped Amazon, a male Eclectus... and a few others, all of whom liked me-- and the feeling was mutual. But they were too far over my budget. :(

OP
P

palmetto941

Nov 14, 2013
Tecumseh, MI
Parrots
Ok. Update on the pet store blue quaker....I called 3-4 times asking about him, visited him 3 times and now they finally tell me their employee is buying the bird so he's for sale but not really. Oh well. I know he'll have an awesome home but wish they would have said something about it to me from the beginning. So now I want a blue or parblue quaker. I know that I won't find one in rescue so I am faced with ordering one...ugh. That scares me. So, sight unseen, where can I order my shoulder buddy at a reasonable price that's been well cared for? There's 2 places in FL that have the blue for $300.00 but I'm not sure if they're reputable businesses..... Does anyone know where there's parblue (turquiose or aqua color)? Can anyone recommend a breeder? I was looking at Featherheads in Lithia, FL and Quazy for Quakers/Hurricane Aviaries in Loxahatchee, FL.... $130 SH on United and $180 SH on Delta.... Please. I need some advice...... Thank You in advance!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts