Quarantine?

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
I am thinking of getting a canary or a pair of finches, but I'm worried about bringing in some illness Birdie might contract. What is the procedure for Quarantine. How long? In a different room? How do you know when it's safe? The canary or finches will be confined to a cage, but will they have to be totally separated to another room?

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Ornithosis and psittacosis are the same disease (Chlamydia psittaci / bacteria) - so maybe not a crazy idea to have these tested.

Quaraintaine means: not in the same room / not sharing the same air, not tranference directly by humans or indirectly by featherdust on humans, drafts, vacuumcleanerexhaust, cleaning supplies etc.
So a lot of cleaning in between birdies for at least a month (quarante = 40 ).

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The standard new-bird quarantine procedure is the first 30-days in a completely different room, and if possible it's best to keep the new bird behind a closed door. The new bird can absolutely not be in the same room as your current bird(s), as they would be sharing the same air-space, and if the new bird that you bring home were to have any type of Avian virus, bacterial infection, fungal infection, etc. that is airborne (most are), your current, healthy birds will most-definitely contract them.

The reason it must be at least a full 30-days is because of how long the incubation periods for most Avian viruses is, along with the fact that birds hide all outward signs of illness for as long as they can, and it will take at least that long for you to be able to tell that something is wrong with your new bird. There are many different new-bird quarantine protocols that call for more time and different procedures after the 30-day period as well. For example, you might near "The new bird must be kept in a totally separate room, behind a closed door for the first 30-days in the home, and then after the first 30-days you can move them into another room without a closed door, but still not in the same room as your current birds until they hit 45 days, and then you cannot let them be out of their cages together until 60 days has gone by", etc. But the standard new-bird quarantine and the very least you need to do is to keep any new bird that you might bring home in a totally different room from your current bird(s) for 30-days behind a closed door to segregate the new bird's airspace.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
For me, the quarantine period lasts generally 30- 90 days depending on AV orders. The new bird is behind a closed door completely separated from my current birds. For example, my rehomed conures required 30 days while my rescued pionus was 45 days behind a closed door followed by 2 weeks of an opened door. After the initial 30 or more days is up, it's followed by a 1- 2 weeks open door familiarity period. The birds communicate but aren't stressed by direct contact. This is bird dependent as some birds prefer immediate contact. For example, my BCC wanted to be with the other conures asap.

All birds, even only birds, should be fully examined by a certified AV during their first week with you. Your AV can instruct you more fully on quarantine procedures at that time.

Some avian viruses may take longer to appear/incubate thus requiring a longer quarantine. At that time, the AV can also provide specific dietary information and needs. For example, my pionus is special needs and came overweight because of a specific disability. She is on a plan to slowly lose weight while enjoying a healthier diet.

All quarantined birds require hypersanitary conditions while still having needs met. I found it quite functional to have a specific 3way stick vacuum for that room. When entering, I wear basic hospital quarantine/surgical paper attire including booties/shoe covers. Additionally, 2 signs are hung stating QUARANTINE AREA, one at my most popular outer door and one on the room itself.

Most Reactions