Question about amazon hormonal stages.

oopsadaisy

Aug 17, 2011
Hi Guys. I am pretty set on getting an amazon (blue fronted) but just have a question about the hormonal stage they go through. I want to get a male, if this makes a difference. How long does it last? When does it first happen? I'm getting a baby. How bad is it? Are they pretty much untouchable for the whole time?

Thanks

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
It is not possible to say in general. It is differant from bird to bird how the bird is behaving in the homon stage

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Daisy,no they are not unhandleble the whole time, i'm trying to type with very homonal hen on my hand who wants sex bad.But it's usually only first thing in the am and then she'
s fine for rest of the day.But like Oled said it's different from bird to bird.Most zons mature at 5-7 yrs of age.Males seem to be more agressive and protective of their mate(you),but the bitey thing is from protecting their nest and territory (cage).It seems to me that male issues are shorter lived and diminish some with age ,females have longer bouts and last more into old age (example is my 41 yr old hen), females don't seem to have the bitey issues as much but every bird is different.The answer to all of this is a well socialized bird,easier with a young bird than a mature rehome .However with an older bird you can see what your getting.There's no substitute for a well socialized zon and you need to work at exposing your baby to lots of different people,sights,sounds etc. Raising your baby in an active house with lots of inaction with family members will help smooth out any bumps in the road caused by hormones. If you'd like more background on why hormones have the effect they do on your pet let me know.In summary i'd say males ,shorter periods/more intense.Females longer duration /mellower.Maybe if i didn't answer all your questions some others will chime in with better reply's.

Most Reactions