Question about beaks

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
Jasmine doesn't really chew anything and I'm concerned her beak will grow too long. She has lava stone, cuttlefish bone, a chew kebab with different coloured layers, natural wood perch etc but apart from the odd nibble she doesn't chew.

I attach picture to show you her beak now - is it getting too long do you think and if so what can I do? I'm hesitant to stress her out with a vet trip to clip it. What else might she like in her cage to chew?
Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,186

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Her beak looks good. Personally I think beak trimming should be put off until you know it is necessary, once you start trimming a beak you usually have to keep doing it. If she gets a healthy diet and nibbles on her toys even a little bit her beak should stay in good condition. I wouldn't be surprised if she starts chewing more as time goes on as well.

OP
JasmineGCC

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Thank you that's reassuring. Her beak is definitely much longer than it was when we got her, hence my concern.

Her diet has far too much seed for my liking - it's a work in progress - but I remove most sunflower seeds, she has soaked pellets each night for supper and sprouted seeds and lots of fresh fruit and veg daily.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Her beak looks fine. If it really was overgrown, it would be noticeable but it looks normal to me.

Have you tried putting her favorite treats inside the kebabs? My mitred conure can't chew hard woods because of his beak, so I gave him a kebab (the log, not the slices) and he ignored it. I then stuck his favorite treat (safflower seeds) inside the various 'holes' meant for chewing, and he destroyed it!

It doesn't keep his beak trimmed, but it gives him something to do.

Do you have photos you can share showing when you got her vs now?

OP
JasmineGCC

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Here is a photo from July when we got her - it might not be clear but the pointy bit of her beak is 2-3 mm longer I think. Of course she was only hatched in April so I may be worrying over nothing but not having had a conure before I don't know what 'normal' looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 2,225

Most Reactions

Latest posts