question about egg laying.

Melanie.L

Jan 6, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
2 Conures - Female yellow sided/green cheek & Male pineapple conure
just a quick question and im sure i know the answer bht just wanted a second opinion but if a conure has laid an egg and the egg has been in the nest for approximately 3-4 weeks and hasnt hatched is it safe to say it is indeed a rotten egg and it will not be hatching?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No, not at all. Have you candled the egg? What kind of conure are we talking about? Is she sitting on it most of the day? Is there a male present?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
No, you need to candle the egg to see if it's fertile or not...

How are your babies doing? I was wondering how it was going since you haven't said much since your last breeding questions.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

OP
M

Melanie.L

Jan 6, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
ive candled the egg and there is a redish circle inside. I cant see enough to tell if theres a heat beat or anything moving though obv. and they are green cheek conures and yes mom is in nesting box with other babies and egg most of the time and dad is present in the cage/nesting box as well!

OP
M

Melanie.L

Jan 6, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Babies are doing very well!!! 5 little ones total, still have an egg that has not hatched and has been in there for about 3 or 4 weeks now.. at what point should i just remove it? But yeah all babies doing okay growing so big and so fast, melts my heart !! I will post updated photo shortly..

OP
M

Melanie.L

Jan 6, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Here is some updated photos!

Two youngest are 3 weeks old and the 3 oldest are 4 - 4 1/2 weeks old.

Not sure of their genders yet. Is it possible to have them sexed yet now that they have feathers or is it too early?

• 1st image is the oldest
• 2nd photo is the second oldest
• 3rd & 4th group
• last picture is the middle/third oldest

Attachments

• IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
They are absolutely adorable! Makes me want to find my male a mate! Lol....You can send feathers or blood for DNA sexing now...

If you see a red spot that means it's fertile, I'd let it there and candle it again in a couple of days to see if you see veins developing. It may have been fertile and died, but it's very possible it's OK as well. I had a clutch of 7 budgies the last time I bred them, and the age difference between oldest and youngest was extreme!

Seriously, they are adorable! Damn you, you're giving me the baby bird cravings!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts