Question about female budgie.

devilhunaid

Dec 18, 2018
Indore , M P , India
Parrots
Budgies :
Neon - Birthday :: Unknown , Brought home :: 16 December 2018

Tina - Birthday :: Unknown , Brought home :: 16 December 2018
Neon(male) and Tina(female) budgies are around approx 3 month( I am not sure, I am just guessing because of horizontal lines on their head) and I think they haven't yet completed their first molt but Neon is acting like to impress Tina which mean shaking his head, kissing by beak and making some sort of sound. So my question is : Is there any chances
that femal budgie can mate when her cere is white and if they haven't yet crosses their first molt?

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
At the age of 3 months both male and females will have pink ceres. If her cere is white than she might be over 6 months, and if he is courting her than he might also be older than what you've estimated.

They should not mate unless over a year of age.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

OP
D

devilhunaid

Dec 18, 2018
Indore , M P , India
Parrots
Budgies :
Neon - Birthday :: Unknown , Brought home :: 16 December 2018

Tina - Birthday :: Unknown , Brought home :: 16 December 2018
At the age of 3 months both male and females will have pink ceres. If her cere is white than she might be over 6 months, and if he is courting her than he might also be older than what you've estimated.

They should not mate unless over a year of age.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

But they have light horizontal line on their head and female have white cere.

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
The only way to sex a Budgie visually is by the color of their cere, and their ceres won't be their permanent color until they around 1 year-old. They are born with either solid pink ceres or solid white ceres, and they change from there up until the age of a year old, so you can't tell their gender if they are truly under a year old... So at less than a year old you have no way at all to tell either of their genders. The lines black lines on their foreheads are an indication of age, the closer the lines are the cere the younger they are, and the more blank forehead with no lines they have the older they are...

Budgies don't go through their first molt until around a year old either, so if they are only 3 months or so, you have quite a while before either of them will molt or you will be able to tell their genders...They also will not be able to mate/breed until they are at least 6 months old, usually closer to a year but sometimes they do start younger than that, you just never know.

If you post a photo of both your Budgies we can estimate about how old each of them are, but if they are younger than a year old then we can't help you with telling their genders, as their ceres continue to change colors up to a year...Most Budgies are born with either all-pink ceres or all-white ceres, and they change from there. So the only way you can get them sexed for a while will be by having a feather DNA test done (they are too small for a blood-draw, unless they use a toenail, which can be inaccurate).

Most Reactions