question about heaters

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey
I have a question about heaters, I am not sure if anyone will know the answer t to this. My landlord is being an jerk and won't turn the heat up past the minimum which is 70 degrees. He has provided a space heater and says it's just an element, like an element from a stove. It says Garrison space heater on it and I can't find information from the model number. I am worried about my bird in this temperature, is 70 degrees too cold for an african grey? I find it chilly. And would this heater be safe to use? I know it's hard to say without any information. I wish he would just turn up the temperature a few degrees :( I would just move but I can't afford that right now and I am moving in the spring anyway.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Can you post a picture of several views of this thing?

If it's a single element resistive heater, you're probably safe as far as any possible toxic emissions go, but the reason I asked about images is that a couple of Garrison heaters were recalled a couple of years ago.....

Oh, and 70 degrees is plenty warm enough for your grey.....

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
70 degrees doesn't sound that cold to me, my bird room is at about 72. If you are worried about the heater, I would contact the company directly and they will be able to tell you if it is safe for your birds. We had bought a Lasko space heater that I was unsure about, and I emailed the company who let me know it was not safe because of chemicals used in the manufacturing.
That is a hard situation when you can't control your own heat:(

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I keep my house at 70 and it's been comfortable- not too cold, not too warm :)

I second Terry's suggestion- you could always email or call the manufacturer...I've done that on a few occasions.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
We keep our house at 68-70f . None of the birds seem fluffed or showing any signs of being uncomfortable.
We also keep the humidity 30-35% in the winter.

Last edited:

Most Reactions