Question about my conure

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I was holding my Green cheek conure today and she for a period was scratching her head with her foot. She then took her beak over her lower body. She did not pull any feathers out but this went on for a little bit and she seemed real focused on doing these two things. I gave her a bath afterwards. Though I didn't see anything should I get some mite treatment just to be safe side? I had her looked over by a vet last week (he sees cats, dogs reptiles and birds). He seemed to think she was healthy he only advised me to keep pushing the fruits and veggies. I have been giving her carrots, strawberries, bananas, and cut up apples without the seeds. I have seen her rubbing her beak across her rope perch sometimes.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That all sounds like normal behavior!

If you see your green cheek paying particularly close attention to her rump, right above her tail feathers, and possibly even rubbing her head in that region, she may be trying to get at her preening gland to get the oils to rub over the rest of her body to protect her feathers. As long as her preening gland is working fine, there's not much need to bother with it. If you ever see it, it often looks like a small raised little bump (varies by species that have it, not all parrots have one) with a white feather sticking out of it. This white feather is known as the "wick" and helps to provide the oils that the birds body creates to the bird.

It's perfectly normal for parrots to preen and scratch themselves! Don't discourage it, as long as it's normal preening behaviors!

And please, don't treat your conure for mites if she doesn't have them!

As far as foods go, you might also want to try different berries (raspberries in particular, or blueberries...), broccoli florets, carrot tops (the green leafy parts), kale, parsley or other leafy green veggies. You might also try offering the leafy green vegetables wet!

If offering carrots, try offering whole carrots, sliced carrots, diced carrots, julienned carrots, shredded carrots, etc. Sometimes, it's all about the presentation of the foods!

Try hanging from the cage top/sides, try mixed in a dish with some cooked/sprouted healthy grains and legumes, etc.

OP
Abigal7

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Thanks for the feedback Monica. I am glad to hear it is normal. I also want to thank you for the food ideas also.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Welcome!

I've found that a mixed varieties is better at getting their attention than a single food or two... as its like eye candy! Bunch of colors and textures just makes things more interesting! Most birds typically take an interest into a mixed variety of foods (grains, legumes, veggies, some fruits, maybe sprouted seeds) within 2-3 days!

Most Reactions

Latest posts