Question about natural perches

Teri

Apr 15, 2012
Timmins ON Canada
Parrots
Yellow double headed amazon named Abby. Orange winged amazon named Buddy.
I have a few questions. My border wants to make a natural perch for my parrot made of tree wood. I would like to know what trees to avoid using, maybe which to use, dry wood or live and how if needed to pretreat the wood. I've seen it mentioned to heat it for 30 mins in the oven or put it in the tub with some chlorine but I would rather have it confirmed by you guys.

I have manitoba maple, birch, pine, spruce, white willow in the yard. The woods around town have the same trees along with tamarack, balsam, and jack pine but these woods would be a little harder to get.

The white willow is dead though and was cut last fall before it fell over. which of these would you recommend using? How do I affix it properly to the cage if I wish to use it there. He is also wanting to put a branch upright on a base for her to use outside of her cage.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi Teri, I don't live in Canada but this link maybe of help.

http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

I have perch holders in my aviaries. In my companion parrots cages i have either screwed them to the cage with a washer or cut a v shape in each end & just place it on a horizontal bar. As far as cleaning i don't bother, i leave the bark on as well. I have never had a parrot get sick of die as a result of putting natural branches in their cage. They get a fresh supply to munch on almost weekly.

I would think that not much would survive in the way of bugs with your winter weather. ;)

OP
Teri

Teri

Apr 15, 2012
Timmins ON Canada
Parrots
Yellow double headed amazon named Abby. Orange winged amazon named Buddy.
Thanks everyone for the links etc you have saved me a lot of searching. We have settled on birch since it seems to be the safest. Now for the next few days we are going out hunting for the perfect pieces so she will have a natural perch in her cage and a stand.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I make sure the perch is a little longer than I need and wrap the end of the long zip tie around the perch and about 1 or two of the cage bars. It has worked for me.

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
I too am doing this. I cut down 2 birch branches to use. I admit I am prob a bit paranoid about causing an illness. I scrubed the branches with some dishsoap and a brush and them set them to the side to let them airdry and just sit for a bit. I havent put them in the cage yet as I just am leary. I guess I should just do it. lol They were too big to put in the oven and I cant find any GSE (grapefruit seed extract) where I live, which I was told was the best homeopathic anti-microbial to use. So I havent put them in yet since I wasnt able to do either method.

Most Reactions

Latest posts