Sick orange-wing amazons needing weight

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
Zebra finches, society finches,button quail, green cheek conure, sun conure, quaker parrot, Congo greys, double yellow amazon, orangewing amazons and lovebird
Sick orange-wing amazons needing weight and some advice?

These are my two orange-wing amazons, Green bean and sweet pea. I bought them as a breeding pair two weeks ago. I would like to find a good weight for them through diet and any additional advice?

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I think you should let a vet check them and at the same time you can get all advice you need

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Definitely agree that a vet check is in order. They aren't in great feathers, and the one in the second picture appears to have an overgrown beak. Beak overgrowth can be a simple matter of a lack of grooming, or it can point to a more serious medical problem.

Do you know anything about the former history on these two?

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
Zebra finches, society finches,button quail, green cheek conure, sun conure, quaker parrot, Congo greys, double yellow amazon, orangewing amazons and lovebird
Definitely agree that a vet check is in order. They aren't in great feathers, and the one in the second picture appears to have an overgrown beak. Beak overgrowth can be a simple matter of a lack of grooming, or it can point to a more serious medical problem.

Do you know anything about the former history on these two?

I got them from a breeder, a pair that they wanted to get rid of. They said that they have always looked like that. They were getting rid of a lot of pairs for cheap. I wanted orange-wings, I was thinking about buying a pair in Greenbay, an aquatience of mine, told me not too she knew some people that were getting rid of a pair cheaper. When I received them they looked like that, they were dropped off which was nice since I don't drive. I didn't complain, they drove almost 3 hrs to my house. I really dont have money for a avian vet right now. I just wanna get them on a good diet see if that helps a little.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
My apologies if you thought I was blaming you for their condition; obviously it is not a result of your care.

That being said, if you cannot afford a vet, perhaps it wasn't the best time to take these two on... but if diet is really your focus, I'd go with Harrison's high potency for a pellet. Lots of nutrients. Then of course lots of beans, lentils, whole grains, veggies veggies veggies, and fruit. I'd focus on foods in these categories toted for being especially healthy. The more nutrients you can get in to these guys, the better.

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
I am getting their beaks done, main focus is on diet.
Most pairs I get are in excellent shape. This is my first pair in not so great condition.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
The about the pin they are sitting on (lower pic). This type should be changed to natural. Regarding the cage, how big is the cage?

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
The about the pin they are sitting on (lower pic). This type should be changed to natural. Regarding the cage, how big is the cage?

The bottom pic was the first day I got them. I had them sitting on a natural perch now.

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
I am not pointing the blame on anyone toward their health I bought them as is, I just wanna get them back into good working condition.

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
They look very rough, way beyond their beak and weight. Obviously they were kept in poor conditions, but now they are your responsibility. Diet most likely isn't the only solution, and id recommend not going crazy with the seeds just to bulk them up. If you cant afford an avian vet, try an exotics one. Most know birds and if you call around im sure you can find one willing to work with you on payment. Not having the money is not an excuse to endanger your pets life, most vets wont turn you away just because yoy cant pay the whole bill.

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
They look very rough, way beyond their beak and weight. Obviously they were kept in poor conditions, but now they are your responsibility. Diet most likely isn't the only solution, and id recommend not going crazy with the seeds just to bulk them up. If you cant afford an avian vet, try an exotics one. Most know birds and if you call around im sure you can find one willing to work with you on payment. Not having the money is not an excuse to endanger your pets life, most vets wont turn you away just because yoy cant pay the whole bill.

I will try there is not too many in my area. I dont drive I rely on people to take me places.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What diet are they eating right now? Why do you think they're under weight? If your that concerned with their weight then a vet visit is quite important! If you can't afford a vet visit, why did you get them in the first place when you know that might be necessary? If they're eating a seed diet right now, let them be but start adding fresh fruits and veggies to their existing diet. Wait a month or so when they're used to you and they're eating well then offer a bowl of pellets, it don't have to be Harrisons!!!!! As long as its not the cheap walmart brand stuff then its fine. I use zupreem myself. Feed it in a separate bowl. Observe to see if they touch it. If they eat it, remove the seeds 100%. If they don't eat it, you feed fruits and veggies in the morning along with pellets in a separate bowl then feed minimal seeds during dinner time. Keep trying that, once they start accepting pellets stop feeding seeds along with any nut treat for awhile, I do it for a month then I offer nut treats again. They really looks they could use a good bath the way they look. The breeder probably never give them a bath....

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
I finally got them to a vet they had a sever Vitamin A deficiency. Got their beaks done. They are looking great, now. I was told it would take them 3 months before they be a 100%. It was nice enough for a friend of mine to borrow money from. :)

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
I don't understand why you are buying breeding pairs if you have to borrow money for a vet visit. You were asking people on here for their unwanted birds. How could you ask for birds that you can't afford to properly care for? I was almost stupid enough to ship you my extra parrot cage as you claimed you were trying to be a "rescue". Come to find out later you're a backyard breeder. In another recent post you have a bird up for sale & offer to take money off in exchange for a breeding pair.

This may sound harsh but in my humble opinion you are running a bird mill. Posters like you should come with a warning label.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Bengara, I am one who tries no to be judgmental but if you have all those birds listed in your profile then you should have the money on stand-by to take them all to the vets at a moments notice. You also need a scale on hand or at least quick access to one. Please, please, please! If you choose to take care of these birds then it needs to be done properly!

OP
Bengara

Bengara

Oct 18, 2011
Media
Omro, WI
Parrots
I don't understand why you are buying breeding pairs if you have to borrow money for a vet visit. You were asking people on here for their unwanted birds. How could you ask for birds that you can't afford to properly care for? I was almost stupid enough to ship you my extra parrot cage as you claimed you were trying to be a "rescue". Come to find out later you're a backyard breeder. In another recent post you have a bird up for sale & offer to take money off in exchange for a breeding pair.

This may sound harsh but in my humble opinion you are running a bird mill. Posters like you should come with a warning label.

I dont run the rescue anymore,I haven't ran it since March 16th, I turned all the birds over to a friend of mine, what birds were left. I work for my mother now, at her bird store ever since she had a knee injury couldn't keep up with the work. I couldn't run the rescue and the bird store it was too much and over whelming. These birds I bought with my own money, my very first breeding pair of amazons from a private party, which was a mistake, should of listen more to my mom. My mother is not a backyard breeder nor am I, she has a sellers permit and has the right to sell her birds and merchandise. The reason why I borrowed money is I didn't have the money at that exact moment. When I was running the rescue I had money socked away for specifically the rescue birds. When I bought the pair there was no money for the pair I bought at that time. So I borrowed it, till I get paid. You don't know me or my situation.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I agree, a vet visit would be best, you can always apply for a care credit card, that gives you six months to pay the bill off without penalty. In the meantime I would try and get them on a good pelleted diet with some fresh veggies and I bet full spectrum lighting would do wonders on them as well. If they are anything like the pair we got from a breeder(not a good one by any means) they were fed almost exclusively sunflower seeds(I assume he did this to save money) and had no natural lighting.

MySafeBirdStore

Apr 16, 2012
These poor dears! It is quite obvious that their previous home did not take good care of them. They should not look like that. A good bath may help a lot.

What is their current weight?

What type of diet are they eating?

I agree with a vet check for sure. I assume you plan on keeping them as pets and not as breeders :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
So what are you doing to correct the Vit A deficiency ? Are they getting any sunlight?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Our amazons also came to us with a vit. a deficiency, since getting them switched over to pellets and offering them lots of fresh foods including lots of sweet potato they are already looking much better. I hope your guys improve quickly for you.

Most Reactions