question about oatmeal

shirino

Jan 15, 2012
I have heard many say their conures love oatmeal. My question is this: I know no sugar. I make an oatmeal for my toddler that is oatmeal with apples and dates. I add milk, but I know no dairy also, so I can omit that. There's no added sugar to this, but its very sweet, from the fruit. Is that okay for our sun conure to eat?

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Yes, it should be fine. You can use water in place of the milk : )

Lukask

Dec 9, 2011
Minnesota
Parrots
Luna- GCC, Stella- Caique
My gcc conure loves my oatmeal. She makes a mess with it though, so I only eat oatmeal when I have a moment to clean up after.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but is it the lactose in dairy that they cant have? If I get lactose free yogurt, can I give some to Luna? I'm getting tired of hiding my yogurt from her. She loves the stuff...

OP
S

shirino

Jan 15, 2012
I believe it's the lactose. Just be careful that its plain yogurt. Every other yogurt out there has tons of sugar or sugar substitute.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My U2 gets oatmeal every morning and I mix ground up Zupreem parrot pellets with it, because that's the only way I can get him to eat his pellets, and I read the ingredients on his pellet bag and sugar is #8 on the list of at least 30 ingedients! Seems to me, that's a lot of sugar! I personally think, that a little sugar isn't going to hurt them.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My avian vet told my that grinding up Amigo's pellets and putting them in yogurt would also be a good alternative to adding it to his oatmeal.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
My gcc conure loves my oatmeal. She makes a mess with it though, so I only eat oatmeal when I have a moment to clean up after.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but is it the lactose in dairy that they cant have? If I get lactose free yogurt, can I give some to Luna? I'm getting tired of hiding my yogurt from her. She loves the stuff...

I'm pretty sure there's no lactose in yogurt.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure there's no lactose in yogurt.

lactose is in anything made from milk,

nut has tiny amounts of cheese as a treat that she loves an there has never been a problem, but these treats are rare(ish)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, I made mine some mashed potatoes using my lactose free milk and nothing bad happened. I think that kind may be ok to use, but maybe not daily. Using water you know is safe.

Yes, a small amount of sugar is fine. It is in Zupreem FruitBlend, and it's in fruit naturally. That's why fruit tastes so good, lol! I try not to give more sugar than what they get in pellets or fruit, but as long as they aren't going nuts on it, you are probably safe. I wouldn't be letting them eat cookies all day or anything like that. But, if I have oatmeal cookies, I do give mine a little taste.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
from a severely lactose intolerant person I can guarentee that yogurt has lactose.The reason is they only let if ferment for maybe 4-8 hrs which doesnt eat up all the lactose in it..If you make homemade yogurt and let ferment for 12+ hours then there will be no lactose.
I love the lactose free yogurt(our store just got it in) and my greenie gets to have a tiny bit too.

Most Reactions