Question about puffy swaying Sun Conure

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
I have 2 Sun Conures that have been housed together since babies. There is about a week difference in their ages. They are between 3-4 years of age. I hand fed them for the last month of baby rearing. They are best of friends (male and female DNA sexed) and the last thing I want is babies so I am cool with the situation but am starting to wonder at my females behavior.

My Suns love each other but would rather be with me more than anyone or anything. They are both so attached to me that they will sometimes bicker if one feels the other is receiving too much attention. They have been (for a Sun) little angels and I have never had any issue with them (other than noise but que sera, sera).

For the last two months, my female Sun has started this puffy swaying thing when she is around me. It is not aggressive at all but actually feels loving. I am a little confused by this behavior and just wondering if anyone had any input? She has also been more possessive around me in regards to the male Sun but not with other people. She does not display this behavior at any other time, just with me. If I stick my finger in their cage and baby talk them the female rushes over and puffs and sways and just loves on me. I am wondering what brought this change around, what does it mean, should I be concerned that it has continued this long?

Thanks in advance!
-Jen

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I'm going to take a blind stab that she's trying to woo you maybe? Hormonal behavior I have actually never seen but this sounds like an attempt to grab your attention, similar to how Cockatiels do the "heart wings"

OP
PickleMeDickles

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
That is what I was kind of thinking. Is this anything to be concerned about regarding this behavior or do I just rejoice in the fact that my bird may be in love with me -_-? Will this lead to problems down the road? I have had parakeets that I loved deeply but they were on auto-pilot, UNLIKE my conures.

I know without a doubt that my husband is jealous of the birds. I clean for them on a regular basis, their diet is almost ridiculous (but they love it). I love them unconditionally regardless of the mess and ear-splitting screams (Suns).

I both love the insane degree of intelligence and a devotion deeper than that of most dogs and cringe that I might screw things up. I love having a forum to double check what I'm doing. Thanks for your input!

-Jen

Most Reactions

Latest posts