Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I've been thinking of getting a conure in the future..

I was wondering about sound, I've heard many times that they are very loud for their small size? I have an ekky so how does the sound compare?

Thanks guys :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, compared to a cockatoo, or macaw, they aren't loud, lol! My amazon can be louder as well. The difference is that many of the larger birds only make loud noise once or twice a day. Conures make quite a bit of noise throughout the day.

My Nanday is very vocal. Not all of it is annoying though. Her alarm screech is the worst. But, if people aren't coming over, I don't hear it much. When people first come over though she is quite a racket. My friends and family think that is all she does all day and don't know how I can stand it. No one believes me when I say she is mostly pretty quiet. She also contact calls, but I taught her to say "Hey, hey" instead. And she has this sound that is pretty loud that sounds like "Uh oh! Uh oh!" But, I actually like that one.

My BC didn't screech very much. Once she learned to talk, she talked all day. She would give an alarm screech if she saw a cat or dog she wasn't familiar with. But, it was quieter I'd say than my Nanday's alarm screech. Also, at least once a day she would yell out, "EEE EEE EEE" for a few minutes and it was high pitched and piercing. My cat hated it. The cat would run over to her cage and glare at her like, "If you don't stop, I"m going to eat you." She would stop, lol!

I would listen to the sounds of different conures and see what you think you could deal with. In some ways I find the Nanday's screech less painful because it's a lower pitch. But, on the other hand, the BC didn't do it as often.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
It depends on which conure you're referring to. Green Cheeks, for example, are typically very quite birds, whereas sun and jenday conures are much louder.

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
My Jenday is very quiet. The only time he's loud is when I first come home. Other than that he always makes these cute, soft little chirping noises when he wants my attention or he sees that I have a sandwich and am not sharing. Then it's like "Hey...Hey mom...hey mom can I have some?...Hey....Heeeeeyyy.....Mommy! Can I have some?!" By that point I can't resist the cuteness and give him some bread :p

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I've been thinking of getting a conure in the future..

I was wondering about sound, I've heard many times that they are very loud for their small size? I have an ekky so how does the sound compare?

Thanks guys :)

I wouldn't say they are overly loud but very annoying because they don't know when to shut up. That said I do believe that for the most part it's a learned behavior because I have 5 Suns & you wouldn't know they were here. Of course they have their moments but i don't find it a huge problem. I think an Eclectus is much louder.

I think if they are trained correctly & not spoiled as youngsters they should grow up fine.

Neravas

Nov 11, 2011
Media
Wisconsin
Parrots
Blue Crowned Conure (Codex)
each bird is different and i think it is largely dependant on the birds keeper. My blue crown is never loud. And my sun conure was never loud either. they only time either one made noise was in the morning when they hear me getting up. My BC conure does chatter a lot, but its not loud at all

SunMommy

Nov 6, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Pyro, my new baby sun conure
I have a baby sun and I don't think he is too loud at all. He greets people as they enter the house and sometimes at sundown he makes some noise. He isn't as loud as I anticipated and he is rarely loud enough to be bothersome. Sometimes he gets a good scream right into my ear and then I just put him on his cage. Most of the time he just makes quiet squawks and practices in his talking voice although most of what come out is gibberish right now.

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I agree with the above statement about them not being spoiled as youngsters. I have a Sun who is an absolute nightmare. He is so loud!!!! His Papa (my boyfriend) put up with it and always said "oh he can't help it! he just wants attention!" and always rewarded him for his bad behavior. I don't tolerate the screaming and he's slowly learning that I don't do the whole obnoxious screaming thing. My Dusky conure can be just as loud as the Sun. For the most part she's quiet. She knows that if she wants out or wants a snack she better be good and being good is being quiet. That's not to say she never makes noise. I taught her to whistle instead of scream. She whistles at me all day to get my attention which is a lot nicer than screaming.

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Thanks so much everyone. It was a sun conure that I was looking into . :) Personally I don't mind the sound but I don't want to annoy my neighbours too much more hahaha !

My eccy chatters all through the day, and its loud chatter haha, she also screams a couple of times a time for a few minutes so its fairly constant with her too.

I guess if the loud screaming starts I will just ignore it. I do that with Audrey.

Thanks again everyone ^_^

cockatielfan17

Nov 20, 2011
im planning on getting 2 sun conures but im scared of the noise people claim they have ear peircing screams so im still deciding right now

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, I think Nandays have a bit of a lower pitch than Suns and Jendays. Conures do have an obnoxious screech though to some people.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I've never had any issues myself with conure sounds. But, many do. Of course they tend to be non bird people overall.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
It depends on which conure you're referring to. Green Cheeks, for example, are typically very quite birds, whereas sun and jenday conures are much louder.

Haha, yes GCC's are "typically" very quiet, but damn they can be loud some times :)

Overall though, my GCC is very quiet.

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
I have only had my green cheek for a few days but have noticed he can be quite loud and he has seperation anxiety so if i leave the room he mmakes a very loud ear piercing beep like noise other than that his noises are quite soft and sweet

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I have only had my green cheek for a few days but have noticed he can be quite loud and he has seperation anxiety so if i leave the room he mmakes a very loud ear piercing beep like noise other than that his noises are quite soft and sweet

That's a contact call. He wants you to answer back so he knows you are ok. He wants to keep track of where he is compared to his flock. I taught my Nanday to say, "Hey hey" instead of screech for me when I'm in other rooms.

Most Reactions

Latest posts