question about sun conure head bobbing

Rizosmom

Oct 14, 2013
Winnipeg Canada
Parrots
Rizo the Sun Conure hatched May 2013
Kenickie Hahns Macaw hatched Nov 2013
Daughter has a 5 year old Senegal named Maggie
So Rizo is about 7 months old.....she is out every night playing on me while we watch tv and well she is my velcro baby....tonight I was laying on the couch and she was playing with a toy on my lap. I started tap my hand on my leg and she ran to it and jumped on my hand and then ran away...so I thought/think we are playing a game and do it again....this time she runs to my hand and does this very dramatic head bobbing movement and steps on my hand and its almost like she starts caressing my hand with her body :eek:....sooo I obviously stop and move my hand away....shes fine with this and starts playing with her toy again for a minute and then runs back to my hand jumps on and starts her dramatic head bobbing....is she just playing or is it something else.....shes too young for hormonal/sexual activities right? She is a she because we assumed not dna sexed.....breeder said if he had to guess he would say rizo is a male but well we just started calling her a her and well that's that....:rolleyes: anyways any thoughts.....

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
Sounds like she's regurgitating for you. It is a sign she loves you & it does not matter if she's sexually mature or not. I would not encourage it though as when she matures she's likely to look at you as her mate. This can lead to some undesirable behaviors.
I suggest putting her on her cage/ perch & ignoring her for a few minutes when she starts the bobbing. This gives her a chance to 'calm down' & lets her know that behavior is not acceptable. Hope this helps.

Most Reactions