Question about toys for sun conure.

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
Okay so my sun wont play with toys at all, in fact she is scared of all of them.With the exception of rope or pinecones.
Well the rope toys are expensive.Ive boughten her two of those rope ring perches for 15 dollars each and she destroyed this last one in two months.
Im having trouble finding pinecones now.

Any suggestions for inexpensive shreddables she might like?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
On the egg cartons, just don't give them the foam cartons to play with/chew up as some birds have ingested the foam & died from the impaction...the cardboard types are fine to give a bird.....

OP
S

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
Ive got a kabob in her cage now and she did mess with it a little but its been untouched for months now.
She has newspaper and occasionally will go nuts on it, shredding it but then doesnt touch it.She is such a picky bird and almost impossible to keep entertained.
I will try those, but mostly likely she will be afraid of them and they will go untouched. Heres hoping

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
With some birds, you need to lay new toys outside of their cage for a while, so that they can become accustomed to them before they are mounted in their cage...I've had to lay out snaky looking toys for a couple of months before my guys would go near them.....

Yogi

Apr 8, 2014
Near Niagara Falls ,NY
Parrots
gold capped conure,
white capped pionus,
Senegal,
IRN,
Pallid green Quaker
Sasha ---You do understand it is a Parrot's job to destroy toys ASAP? Here are a few suggestions. Go to your nearest Dollar store and look at the dog toys. You will find many rope type toys ,some of which can be hung up like swings. You can also get interesting things in Home Depot plumbing dept. Elbow connections,(my gold cap loves to hide in the large ones and stash stuff in there),Small joints to carry and push around. They last forever. If you know a wood worker ask for small pieces of pine 2X4. I always ask my son to cut up a 2X4 for my birthday. My birds love to make toothpicks out of them and sometimes they even carve them into different shapes like whales and cockatoos. Weave strips of paper bags through the cage bars. Do not begrudge your birds chewing up toys. The alternative is to become bored and pluck out their feathers.
Yogi

hutcho

Dec 25, 2014
Media
nsw
Parrots
Sun Conure named Jim
My sun goes crazy for the plastic cat balls that have a bell in them and he loves shedding pretty much any paper in front of him (my lecturers at uni keep asking why my assignments are ripped on the corners) he loves to climb but only when he is outside his cage (i think he thinks the cage is only for sleeping or as a time out for when he gets over excited as we have an enclosed outdoor area and there is usually someone home so hes out of his cage almost all day) and he loves chewing on wood, any wood he can get his beak on! Oh and he likes to chew on my buttons (hes ruined a dress and a shirt so far) and my hair hahaha

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
If your conure hangs on you like mine, he likes binder clamps, hair elastics and hair clips. Once he breaks the elastic, I put a knot in it and clip the binder clamp to the cage! I'll put the binder clamp on my clothes too so he plays with it. Try toys with Bells too. Braxy is afraid of paper towel tubes though. If he attacks the pen when your trying to work, take the ink out of it and let him think he's stealing the pen! Do you have an old key board, Robin ate the keys off my laptop so I use a plug-in keyboard, lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts