Question from a new owner

HawkeKnight

Dec 28, 2013
Parrots
Nadia-Parakeet
I'm not sure if I'm just over reacting or not, but I got my parakeet two days ago and she already seems to be warming up to me. Most of the guides I've read say she won't feel comfortable for more than a week. She grinds her beak and will eat out of my hand. It just feels too quick. Is she warming up to me already or is this just normal behavior for an adjusting parakeet? If I need to give more info, go ahead and ask what you need to know.

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
That's sounds like what a lot of people wish for. There is not a thing wrong you just have a compatible Baby who wants to be with you. You cant ask for more that.
Just enjoy the little sweetie and show her/him all the love in the world and you will have a problem free Bird.:green2:

OP
H

HawkeKnight

Dec 28, 2013
Parrots
Nadia-Parakeet
This was day one:
mX5DQaNb.jpg

She barely left that perch at all and wouldn't eat.

Then today:
J1htXPSb.jpg

She moves from that swing to the perch to the other swing every so often, and I've gave her access to her seeds from the swing in case she's still too shy to go to it. She still isn't comfortable with me holding her and won't stand on my finger, but I figure that takes a little bit longer for her to adjust to. Her name is Nadia and my mother had one wing clipped against what I requested. I tend to keep the cage door open because as of right now she hasn't really tried to get out without me bringing her out carefully.

The pictures make her look larger than she is as they were taken with my ipad. She's still rather small in reality. I keep calling her a she because thats what the woman from the petstore told us she probably was, although she clarified that an avian vet could sex the bird to be certain.

Let me know if theres any problems with what I'm doing so far.

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Your budgie is beautiful! From what you are saying this is the beginning of a great budgie relationship! Nothing is more satisfying than a sleeping budgie on your shoulder, snuggling up against you <3 good luck!

lisascannell

Sep 1, 2013
South Australia
Parrots
2 Lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, finch, budgie, Indian Ringneck
I love his colour! Sounds like you are doing everything just right! He'll be perching on your finger and shoulder in no time. I have an albino budgie. He's so friendly always the first to welcome a new bird!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Lucky you!! I have a baby tiel, and he took to me in four seconds. It was love at first sight, so I guess we're both lucky.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!! Nadia is a female! She's passed the 7 months mark cause I don't see any bars on her forehead. I got a parakeet from petco years ago, he was friendly from day one the moment I got him home. It was unexpected....He flies around and come back to me on his own. He was a good bird.

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
nooooo, thats nothing wrong!! thats is simply amazing, well yes, most birds take around a month. but it depends on each bird. like- my budgie was sitting on my hand the second day. by next week, he was out of the cage, on my shoulder. and i dint even clip him!! hes just ultra friendly, thats what!!
your doing just great!! and bamboo is the same colour as nadia, but she looks prettier lol!

OP
H

HawkeKnight

Dec 28, 2013
Parrots
Nadia-Parakeet
Alright, thank you all so much for all the support!

Most Reactions

Latest posts