Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Iv been a bird owner foe three years, I have a sun conure a year old and a gcc two years old. Iv been thinking of geting a macaw from a place in jersey called bird paradise, I'm considering three diffrent types, a blue n gold, scarlet and military. Is there any personalty diffrence between the three???

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I was told by a breeder once that blue and golds make better pets then a scarlet. Scarlets, from what she told me aren't as cuddly, and can be a bit harder to handle.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I was told by a breeder once that blue and golds make better pets then a scarlet. Scarlets, from what she told me aren't as cuddly, and can be a bit harder to handle.

I agree, with the research that I have done basically says the same thing. But from all the species, Greenwings are more laid back then most all of them. Although they are bigger, they are said to be more gentler and a bit quieter than the rest. Also, Red Fronts are another to consider, if you can find one.

But you must realize, no matter how much research you do, it's mainly up to the bird you choose and YOU and to whether the bird will be a good bird or one that is hard to handle and noisy. All birds have noisy times, which can be exagerated by the owner, who can spoil the bird and cause them to be needy. I know, I have spoiled my Little Senegal rotten and she lets me know it all the time.

Birds the size of a Macaw are always best to get at a really young age so that it will be easier to bond with them. Rescued birds will come with a l,ot of baggage that you will have to overcome in order to begin to form a bond with them. Most if not all have been abused or neglected and cage bound which causes aggression & plucking.

You could also consider one of the Hybrids like a Catalina, which is a mix between the Blue & Gold and the Scarlet, but with a much better temperment.

But to me, this would be my list of Macaws:

Greenwing
Blue & Gold
Catalina
Red Front
Military
Scarlet

But lets face it, when ever you think of a macaw, everyone always thinks of the Scarlet because of their beauty. But they also are harder to handle then the rest. But again, that is also up to the individual bird.

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
I own a Greenwing, (see my other post), and I think they are the best choice. Mine is sweet and quiet and not demanding. I've heard Scarlets can be difficult and nippy. I known a few B&G's that like to bite. If you can afford one I'd get a GW. Just my opinion. Good luck

OP
erik7181

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
Well i taled to a lady at the place she told me to keep an open mind when i go there and see which kind i interact with the best when i go. But I have to find out if they get green wings. What is the price range on a green wing???

mnsalani

May 18, 2011
Media
Kentucky
Parrots
Sushi, our femme fatale SI Ekkie
All the personalities of the birds will be different, so open mind would be best like the lady said. However, from what I've read, the B&G's are usually more cuddlier. Of course, all macaws are just goregeous so you can't go wrong in the looks department! Good luck and keep us all updated!

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
If your interested in a Macaw, I too would advise you on the Green wing over the choices your mentioned. The Green Wing, Hy, B&G are all very good choices. They do very in price. In MD, Green wings are around $1800.00, B&G $1300.00, Hy $6000.00 and up to $10000.00. Plus cages, toys, food, vet visits. really adds up, so know what your getting yourself into prior to a purchase. Best of luck Joe

Lokums

Jun 25, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
B&G, Senegal
I own a B&G just for reference. :) But to answer your question:

Scarlets tend to be less cuddly, less tolerant of invading of personal space.
Militarys tend to have very assertive personalities, like to be in control, less cuddly, loving of their people.
B&Gs tend to think with their beak ("get to know things"), quite cuddly, quite tolerant.
Green Wings pretty much are the quintessential macaw. Pretty much their only downside (if there is one for any bird) is they can be BIG and are not at all afraid to use their beaks. Like B&Gs they can be a "beak first" bird.

A general answer tho about macaws, they are loving, playful, tolerant and hold a grudge, so if you screw up, they won't forget it. Independent, nippy, destructive.

I love mine, would love to get another, but lack the room.

Mike

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
I'm around blue and golds everyday at an exotic bird store, and personally, they are much better pets than the scarlets!

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I had a Blue & Gold for over 10 years. He was a hand fed baby that I finished hand feeding when he was on 2 feedings per day. He was a great pet. As I got busier & paid him less attention (I had been at home with 2 young children when I got him & then I later went back to work full time when my kids were both in school full time) he got louder & less satisfied. He was a sweet pet.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
Ok, I handfeed... hyacinths, greenwings, blue and golds, scarlets, military, buffons, and severe macaws fairly regularly. I own Blue and golds, Greenwings, and A harlequin. All of whom are pets not breeders... My favorite macaws personality are the Greenwing and the military (I won't even put a hyacinth into my rating since they are rarely an option.... although they are the absolute gentlist and most destructive). I honestly don't recomend a greenwing to anyone who doesn't have previous macaw experience... (there are several exceptions and I decide when I meet people), but as a rule I won't sell them to just anyone. Greenwings are Extremely sweet and fun, BUT what most people won't tell you is this.... They eat about 3 times as much as my blue and golds, they make twice the mess of nearly all my other birds combined, and certain people personality types are dangerous when combined with a Greenwing. Greenwings (while sweet) only do well in an environment with firm rules and an owner not afraid to put them back in their place. Greenwings have powerful beaks with about 2200 pounds per square inch of pressure... though the good news is they rarely bite. They are much less nippy than scarlets and a whole lot sweeter, BUT they have a strong sense of injustice and do require firm handling (especially through sexual adolescence... there are always expections, but I just want you to understand that a Greenwing is A LOT of bird (even for me at times). That said, I love CJ and pepper very much and adore them both... they are vocal, funny, friendly, and overall a joy to live with. Blue and Golds are popular because they are fairly pretty, very sweet, and not near as much of a handful as greenwings or as expensive for that matter. They tend to need a trusting environment and a good deal of interaction and love. (More love needed than with a greenwing). I will usually sell someone a blue and gold as their first macaw with little hesitation because they are not prone to becomming bossy in their later years. Military macaws are fantastic birds who anyone who gets along with conures would probably thoroughly enjoy... they remind me a bit of some of our conures in personality. They really are an under rated bird because they lack the nice colors of the others. Of course as a diclaimer I have to tell you every bird is unique, but if I were you I would a breeder who took the time to help you figure out which particular baby was a good match for you and your other feathered family members.

Most Reactions

Latest posts