Question on Quakers

pkennedy

Oct 14, 2010
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have an Indian Ringneck Parakeet and now have the opportunity to get two Quakers with cage and everything. My wifes causin said I could have the two Quakers and the cage for $150 since we were family. I really think this is a great deal t get two birds I have always liked. Here is the thing, my wifes cousin bought one from a breeder in Maryland and she says this bird likes certain people and is not so fond of others. The other bird she got from some pet store and it is not the most socialized bird i've ever scene. She says it likes to just stay in it's cage. So my dilema is I have this great deal on two Quakers, which I have wanted for awhile, but I know I am getting birds that will need some working with. In short, what do you guys and gals think? I'm willing to put in the time for these birds if they can be turned around just atleast some. And before I am asked, she is getting rid of them due to running out of room in her house where she houses her bigger parrots.

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
Well, are these two bonded? If so, they may not be very happy with being handled and such and I am gessing that you want these two as your companians. I think you may need to read up on Quakers and their personalitites and such before you get them if you haven't already done so. It can be difficult to hand-tame some some parrots, but it can be done. Also, getting another parrot(s) can be threatening to your relashionship with your parrot. I know that mine and Spiritbirds, along with some other member's vets really advised against it. But, if you arre certain that you want these two birds remember to quarantine them in a different room (preferbally also a different level) in your house than your Ringnecks for atleast 30 days.

Here are some links to some good articles about Quakers, and about quarantine.

Quaker Parrot Information
: : OZ Quaker Parrot Information - : :
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/5482-why-we-quarantine.html
How to quarantine a new pet bird - ParrotChronicles.com Feature Story

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Ok I'm confused slightly
this lady owns larger parrots but yet she can't deal with 2 little Quakers ( by deal with I mean work on them with their problems to help make them better birds )
it sounds to me like she just can't be bothered and rather they were someone elses problem

Have you met and handled these birds yourself ( yeah you may get bit but then you can see the truth of there natures and get an idea if you can handle simething like that )

Also I'm gathering that it's 2 Quakers and 1 cage which means they are housed together and it's possible that they have bonded to each other
this can make it extremelly hard for you to form any type of bond with these birds on a personal level

I don't wanna be a bubble buster and sound like the nasty person but I just recently made a similar purchase myself and things turned out really badly ( thankfully fixed now due to rehoming one bird )
it sounds to me like you are looking for another pet bird

In my opinion save up the money and get one else where ( still try to rescue if possible ) but I think if you buy these guys for the sake of saving some cash you will end up dissapointed

Apologies if anything I have said had come across ridley I don't know how to not speak my mind
i hope I haven't as it was not my intentions and they were simply to offer an outsiders perspective on the matter

Please check out this link they have a rehoming section where you may find your new love

Quaker Parrot Forum

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Welcome to the forum from another IRN owner!:D You do know that getting other birds will REALLY upset your IRN, he/she is bonded to you and do not tolerate interference.

So my dilema is I have this great deal on two Quakers, which I have wanted for awhile, but I know I am getting birds that will need some working with. In short, what do you guys and gals think? I'm willing to put in the time for these birds if they can be turned around just atleast some.
It does not really matter where you get the birds from they ALL need work. If you really want them and you are willing to put in the time then anything is possible. It does however sound as if you question yourself, are you up to dealing with behavioral problems for months on end and push it to the end? Are you willing to keep them forever, regardless?

Ok I'm confused slightly
this lady owns larger parrots but yet she can't deal with 2 little Quakers ( by deal with I mean work on them with their problems to help make them better birds )
it sounds to me like she just can't be bothered and rather they were someone elses problem
I think you missed this.
And before I am asked, she is getting rid of them due to running out of room in her house where she houses her bigger parrots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts