Question

grizz1

Feb 9, 2008
i was at our local pet store today when i saw an amazon parrot. it was dark green and was the only color found on it. i didnt quite catch the name of the bird but it was beautiful. but everytime i went near the cage it got defensive and when i stuck my finger in to pet it. it bite at me. it is only 4 months old and was hand raised. i was wondering if i was to get him if in a few months r so he would come around and b nice like to play? he is only 4 months old so there is alot of time left to make him become nice. right?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
One of the first things that one must understand when owning a parrot is that there is a trust/bond that develops between parrot and human. At 4 months old this Amazon hasn't had the chance to develop a bond with anyone yet. Yes, he will come around if you were to take him home and work with him everyday! Yes, he can become hand tame and will even love you, but you will still get bitten (that comes with the territory).

Another thing that I think you should do is read up on amazons (and parrots in general), they are very interesting creatures and require specialized care. Also, ask lots of questions, we all love to help!

:50:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
While I agree 100% with tex that this bird is plenty young and has plenty of time to change It's worth looking at the other side of the coin: He may change, but not necessarily for the better. There are many stories of people bringing home the sweetest bird in the store that latter turns into a devil, so be very cautious about bringing home a bird that has already displayed aggression.

That being said more observations are probably necessary. Is he actually "attacking" your finger, or is he just exploring? Birds explore the world with their beaks; even the most friendly socialized bird with explore a new finger in his cage with his beak.

Secondly, what kind of environment is he in in the store? What kind of cage? How often is he let out/handled? Does he let the workers there take him out or does he nip at everyone? (dont take the employees word for these questions, OBSERVE for yourself)

The answers to these questions will show the difference between a well raised bird that simply has no reason to trust YOU yet, versus a poorly raised bird who will be difficult to work with. [Any bird can be socialized by experienced handlers, but if this is your first you don't want a "fixer-upper"]

There was one local "pet store" here that had a horrible amazon. I put the term in quotes because I don't think they qualify; they were an outlet for the puppy mills and their care bordered on abuse. They had a large amazon in a SMALL cage that would be hardly appropriate size for a cockatiel. He had ONE dowel perch, a food and water dish, and no toys. The cage was attached to the ceiling, so he was far above anyone's head an he was never let out of the cage. The store put a sign on the cage "do not put your fingers in the cage, he bites!" I saw that sign an thought 'no $H!T he bites.' I really feel sorry for that bird, but I'd also feel sorry for any inexperienced owner that would take him home.

This tragedy is the minority. I've seen many other pet stores treat their birds quite well, socialize them, take them out... In these good stores many birds still need to get to know you before they trust you.

Somewhat counter-intuitively its been the large chain stores in my experience that have treated their birds well (ie Petsmart) while its the small locally owned places that I am generally more cautious about.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
While I agree 100% with tex that this bird is plenty young and has plenty of time to change It's worth looking at the other side of the coin: He may change, but not necessarily for the better. There are many stories of people bringing home the sweetest bird in the store that latter turns into a devil, so be very cautious about bringing home a bird that has already displayed aggression ... The answers to these questions will show the difference between a well raised bird that simply has no reason to trust YOU yet, versus a poorly raised bird who will be difficult to work with. [Any bird can be socialized by experienced handlers, but if this is your first you don't want a "fixer-upper"]

Agreed here, but I do believe that this 'zon being on only 4 months old hasn't had aggression shown towards him enough to develop that 'true' "amazon aggression" yet ... and with the correct handling and training, I would be willing to bet money, that he will come around. That being said, all that much more onus on you to make sure that you completely understand how to handle/raise an amazon correctly!

That being said more observations are probably necessary. Is he actually "attacking" your finger, or is he just exploring? Birds explore the world with their beaks; even the most friendly socialized bird with explore a new finger in his cage with his beak.

I don't know why this slipped my mind, and I am going to say that this is what is going on, especially if you aren't getting bitten too hard. Probably just that "beaky" stage that all birds go through while they are young.

Great call out on this one AD!

OP
G

grizz1

Feb 9, 2008
thank for the info. i went back today and saw a african grey that i hadnt even seen yesterday. he was much nicer even let me hold him. im learning towards him more now and from what i been told and read. they are the most intelligent bird and very easy to work with. am i correct>?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Thanks Tex. The concerns I did voice seem to be answered by the fact that the other bird there was more friendly/social. Meaning that this is a place that probably takes good care of their birds.

Hopefully some of the AG owners here can chime in on your last question grizz, good luck with your (potential) new owner.... yes we are the pets, they are the owners....

danewillow

Feb 27, 2008
Media
Ham Lake, MN
Parrots
Timneh African Grey, Yellow-naped Amazon
We have both an African Grey and an Amazon. The Grey (Einstein) we had from a baby, got him from a very bird savvy pet store, socialized him. Hates my husband! In fact, I'm the only one who can handle him. The Amazon (Rocky) was a rehome at 9 years old. He's very nice and adjusted to his new home well. He absolutely adores my husband (his previous owners were a family with 2 kids but the man was his human first) but both of us have no problem handling him. Greys are very intelligent. So are Amazons but in a different way. Rocky talks a lot but usually it's just whatever he thinks will get our attention. Einstein says things that are a little more logical (door opens, he calls the dogs) but he doesn't talk as much. They're totally different birds. You just have to decide what you want.

As far as the Amazon biting your finger: how many times a day do you think that bird gets fingers stuck through the sides of its cage? If you were kept in a small room and someone kept sticking their hand in and waving it at you and annoying you, you might feel like biting the hand too. If you're truly interested in the bird, ask to see it handled or ask to handle it yourself.

Julie

RSRosey

Feb 6, 2008
Media
The very first parrot I was interested in was an African Grey. I loved all the stories I read online, they were so beautiful with that bright red tail. I loved the intelligence they had...I really loved reading about Alex the African Grey with Dr Irene Pepperberg. But when I started meeting birds first hand and doing more research for serious consideration, I found that for me the African grey was too serious and that it wouldn't have worked in our house as the powder down would have been an issue for my 14 year old son, he has allergy induced asthma. Cockatoos were my next love, but again the powder down was a huge deterant. But the things I loved about both are true of the amazon. The Amazon is highly intelligent and silly and playful. So you have to find what qualities you want in a bird and then search for the right one. A parrot is a lifetime commitment and it takes time to find the one(s) that will fit with your expectations.
Rhonda

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
We have ... an African Grey ... The Grey (Einstein) ... hates my husband ... Greys are very intelligent ...

What are you trying to say here? :eek::p

I just had to because I saw a chance to stir things up ... :rolleyes:

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I would never advise anyone to get an Amazon as a first bird. Many birds are defensive when it comes to their cage, especially if it is a stranger. No one can go near either of my birds unless they are out of there cage.

Small birds are great to start of with. I personally prefer the smaller breeds and many of them have big personality anyways.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Oh I wonder what kind of Amazon it is to be completely green??? Any ideas?

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
If a baby yellow nape didn't display its tail or secondary flight feathers it would appear to be all green. Thats my best guess.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Grizz how long have you been considering getting a bird?

I only ask because it really is a decision not to be taken lightly, and I have heard plenty of stories of people that saw the cute little birdy in the store and just had to take it home with them when all they went to the store to get was dog food.

I think the best thing to do is to think about what kind of bird would fit in with your lifestyle the best, and what qualities you want the bird to have...then do your research from there.

Most Reactions