Questions about an older BFA

geoholl

May 15, 2017
Punta Gorda FL
Parrots
Amazon Blue Front
Hello,
Just found this forum a few days ago and I have already learned that our boy "Thunder" has about as much patience as the old "Sister" that liked to smack students with a ruler :11:.
He is a BFA in his mid-thirties as far as the rescue knew. He lived with an older gentleman that had passed away.
I was the first human that he came out of his cage for at the rescue and after a few more visits it was clear that he was adopting me ;).
I have a few questions about behavior though, he can be really sweet and he steps right up when he wants to but sometimes he puts his foot up and when I offer my hand he grabs it and bites hard! sometimes he gets territorial like today. My wife was adjusting a slightly loose branch on his play stand and when I got near he put his head down and charged, he actually fell from the stand and started stalking/chasing me around the kitchen ( I was in bare feet and did not have any intention of letting him get a hold of my toes..lol) btw: he is very fast! I managed to snag a branch and he did step up so that I could get him back on the stand.
About an hour later he put his foot up, stepped up sweet as can be and guided me to his cage like nothing happened.
So, is this just normal BFA mood swings?
My other quick question is about covering him at night, he doesn't seem too happy when I put the cover on, no squawking or screaming it just seems like he goes back into attack mode (tries to get the finger that slides the latch and sometimes he does the upside down stance while he looks for the opportunity.

Sorry if this was a little long, just thought the first post should be more than "Hi, my name is George and I have a 30 something BFA"

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for the replies>

George

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
George:

Amazon 101

Welcome to Parrot Forums!!!*

But just as importantly, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!!!

So, you have an Amazon being an Amazon and you’re not getting the message! Happens all the time!!!

The great news! The Amazon chose you and your family! There are all kinds of places to start and this is one of the better ones! So, here is your Great News Moment!

Amazons use a number of standard tools of communicating what they are happy with and what just pissed them off and what their opinion of the World around them is! Not being aware of your Amazon's Body Language is a common problem for a new Owners! With luck and within Parrot Forum's is the Amazon Forum, which you have clearly (congratulations) found!

At the top of the Amazon Forum are two 'Sticky' Treads that are provided in Light Blue! They contain a Hugh amount of information that will help you. The one that defines: Understand Body Language is where you need to start! With your Amazon near or on you (avoid Parrot on your shoulder at this point, way too early). Read this Threat out loud to your Amazon! If you have read it before, do it again and again until you know it like a first language (cause it will be). You will also want your wife to do the same! This provides and developed a comfort of being with you and in hearing your voices. You will want to come back and do this several times each month for the next several months!

The second one is: I Love Amazons - ... This is a Hugh Thread with numerous 'Segments' that will cover a wide cross-section of 'Parrot Knowledge' stuff! NOTE: Amazons Love to be Read to: Use it like multitasking, since there is any number of activities that you and your wife need to do each day that involves reading. So, read to your Amazon!

Parrot 101a: It's NEVER the Fault of the Amazon!!! It is ALWAYS the fault of the Human!!! If you take all activities and place this as your guiding tool (vantage point) you will more quickly come to understand what you are doing wrong and correct it!

Parrot 101b: Sleep cycle, use the Sun as your guild for the sleep cycle for your Parrot! What Mother Nature is doing out side is what you want for a sleep cycle for your Amazon! With a new arrival, begin targeting 10 - 12 hours of dark, restful, sleep! within a month begin adjusting to what you have outside. NOTE: Our Amazon has his "Okay Folks, I have had enough of you guys and I'm going to sleep now!" If you Amazon is showing signs of "Okay, I'm tired,” take him to his sleep cage! There are few things in Life more ‘In Your Face than a sleep deprived Amazon! Covers over a cage! Our Amazon does not like to be covered - major issue, wise Humans quickly choose to not cover! So, if your Amazon is a no cover guy, that's Okay! If he likes his blankety, that's okay also!*

Parrot 101c: New arrivals and being on the floor is a real big No, No in my World! Like being on the shoulder, it is an*Earned Privilege!!!

Parrot 101d: With Amazon's "Step-Up" commonly needs to be followed by something else. Whether that is Step-Up and move elsewhere or any Number of things! Point being, this is all part of understanding your Amazon! Clearly your’s is a Step-Up and what's next!*

Parrot 101e: Games: Pass the Birdie! Amazons tend to bond to a person and it is*critical*that both of you are actively involved with your Amazon! My Amazon is a great big mommy’s boy!!! He lover’s her no matter what. But, I'm the Amazon Snob of the household and I will interact with him just as much and likely more any given day. VERY IMPORTANT: If you are the favored person, you must be the one that corrects (sets the boundaries) and the proper interaction with the least favored person. The more balanced the interactions the happier everyone will be!!!

Parrot 101f: Mood swings: Yes and No! It is also, you not paying attention to the emotional status of your Amazon!

Remember, that your Amazons is communicating with you two all the time! The faster you get to a place that you understand what is being conveyed the better for everyone!!!

Parrot 101g: Amazons are lighting fast and just as smart! Never underestimate an Amazon!!!

Tons to learn. By good luck the first couple of pages of the Amazon Forum is filled with topics that will be of use to you and your wife.*

FYI: If you do not activity involve your wife in this process! I will assure you that instead of having one individual in your household that can make your life painful! You will have two and they will likely take turns or come at you as a team!

This is a team process, all three of you and the quicker that team forms and understand each other the happier the team will be!!!

Enjoy!

Always remember, Amazon's Have More Fun!!! And, they have even more Fun Messing with their Human's Minds!!!

Steven,

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
George..

Sorry, I just saw this thread :rolleyes: Welcome to the best danged parrot forum to be found! And welcome to you,your wife,and your Amazon! :D

I had to "lol" to myself after reading some of your story.
Amy was only a few years old (now 28) when my ex-wife stopped by one day. Amy was walking around,on the living room floor,when Debbie entered,and Amy immediately spread her arms out WIDE,with tail flaired,as she CHASED poor Debs down the hallway into the kitchen! Fast??? like greased lightning,lmao..I thought it was hilarious..Debbie?...ehhhh....not so much!

Read Steven's (boat's) sticky on Amazon body lingo,it will greatly help you to understand what your 'zon is trying to say to you ;).

If you can,we'd all love to see pictures of your Blue Front. At least I would lol.

Jim

Most Reactions