Questions from a potential new owner

JanP

Jul 13, 2012
Portsmouth, UK
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums for sometime, as I've seriously been considering giving a bird a home. I've not taken the decision lightly, and have done a months worth of research. I think I have enough information to start looking to purchase a cage, bird proof my room and the rest of the house. Still, I have a couple of questions and wondered if anyone could offer their advice on a couple of things?

Firstly, a little about my situation. I'm looking at giving a home to a GCC, I'm particularly taken by the Crimson-bellied variety, but I'm not overly fussed. I still live with my mother, and the bird will need to stay in my room (with access to the rest of the house at certain times). I've made sure my mum is aware of the changes this will cause to the home, she's keen to have a parrot around but wants myself to be the primary carer (understandable). We do have a pet cat; which never gets access to my room, this is the main reason for keeping the parrot in my room.
I do work fulltime, but can spend time with the parrot in the mornings, and atleast 3-4hrs in the evenings. Obviously alot longer in the weekends.
I've never looked after a pet bird before, so I'm keen to get a hand-reared baby rather than a rescue. I'm concerned that I'll end up with a rescue bird that's been mistreated and requires a more expierenced owner.

Anyway, onto the questions I had:

Fear - my main concern is that I project fear as I'm not use to handling birds. I'm not petrified or anything, but I am a little nervous around them. For example, when my friend's conure flies towards me I instinctively flinch and duck out of the way. I put this mainly down to my childhood, where I had a bad expierence with a wild bird.
I'm worried my future parrot will sense this, and try to be the boss in our companionship ;)
Like I say I have a friend who has a parrot (member of this forum), and I've tried to spend time round his place, getting used to being around the parrot etc. But I don't think I'm going to overcome this problem untill I have my own, and have more time to learn it's body language.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? or would you say I'm not really ready?

Cat - like I said we have a cat; and although I'll never allow them un-supervised time together, I would like to get to a point where the parrot can sit on my shoulder while I go around the house.
My first thought was to allow the cat to see the bird in the cage (at a distance), and gradually step up from there. Do you think that's wise? or would I be stressing out the bird, trapped in a cage with no escape.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how to introduce them?

Thanks to anyone that took the time to read my wall of text, and if anyone has any advice, I would be most grateful!

- Jan

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

By reading your post, I would think seriously before you commit yourself to getting a Bird at the moment! You say you have a fear of them, so maybe you could spend some time with your Friends Conure and see if you can overcome your fear first!

If you decide to get one, then I would say definately get a Hand Reared Baby, as like you have said a Rescue Bird could be quite hard for you to handle!

Have a look through the Conure section as well... You will find some good tips there :)

OP
J

JanP

Jul 13, 2012
Portsmouth, UK
Welcome to the forum:)

By reading your post, I would think seriously before you commit yourself to getting a Bird at the moment! You say you have a fear of them, so maybe you could spend some time with your Friends Conure and see if you can overcome your fear first!

If you decide to get one, then I would say definately get a Hand Reared Baby, as like you have said a Rescue Bird could be quite hard for you to handle!

Have a look through the Conure section as well... You will find some good tips there :)

Thanks for your response, it's nice to see someone from the UK :)

I do appreciate your comments about my fear, and it is my main concern. I just don't feel I'm going to get much more from visiting my friend. His parrot does fly to me, which apart from the initial flinch I'm fine with. But he's obviously very attached to his owners. As you say though, I will seriously consider this and take other comments on board. If I get a parrot, I know I can't change my mind.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
First welcome and thanks for your questions good ones that show thought went into them . I take it from your question you plan on having a flighted bird? I've worked with birds for years and I still flinch when a bird launches towards me and I'm a 5'8" man so who's the chicken now? Don't worry that will not make him think he can run the relationship he will try that anyway you just have to know not to let him bully you and let him know that.
My friend who owns birds also has three cats two who were feral and none of them mess with the bird even though the wild birds on the outside are considered fair game to them, he attributes it to having his scent on the bird so they know that this belongs to him and is off limits I have no idea how to teach this so I'd keep them far away from each other because the birds fast movements will trigger the cats natural hunting instincts and a small scratch or puncture can cause death even if the bird walks away and only looks upset so don't take chances. Hope this helps and GCC are great birds

OP
J

JanP

Jul 13, 2012
Portsmouth, UK
I am indeed keen to keep my bird flighted. My main objection to keeping birds in captivity, I used to think wing clipping was required which I didn't like the idea of. Don't get me wrong I can understand the merits, and even the requirements for safety concerns. But if I can possibly help it, I would rather no wing clip.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that flinches! :)

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
First off we all flinch when birds fly at us it's normal instinct, well we do in this house. If you are able to be around birds and handle them on your hand, I think your get use to it. About cats. I have two cats that come around my birds one sits and watches until it falls to sleep the other try's to get close to the birds but most birds will attack the cats long before the cats can harm the birds but with that said cats. Dogs and birds should never be left along together not for a second. Try to spend as much time with your friends bird as you can and remember you don't have to rush in to getting a bird there plenty out there. There still be ones for sale next month next year. Ok this is something I have to keep reminding myself alot. Lol.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Suggest you find a nearby rescue or bird breeder where you can spend some time with differrent kinds of birds and attend to their needs. Best thing to do with a fear is to face it, slowly.

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Hello and welcome! I think the others have given you some good answers to your questions. I just wanted to point out that crimson bellied conures are not a variety of GCC, but are actually a separate species of conure. They are still in the Pyrhurra family and are closely related to green cheeks. They are absolutely wonderful birds though! I have a crimson bellied, so if you have any questions about CBC's specifically, I would be happy to answer them! :)

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
I have a friend who has a parrot (member of this forum)

/wave

It seems more like unfamiliarity nerves than fear - he doesn't scream and roll sideways. ;) As I said at the time, my only concern is what would happen to the bird when he moves out; I have no doubt his nervousness would pass quickly.

terri526

Jul 13, 2012
New York state
Parrots
Catalina Macaw,Hawkhead.Sun conure,2blk Hd Caiques,Congo Grey,Yellow streaked lory,Rose breasted2,LS2
Our first bird was a rescue male congo grey[hard bird to start out with].He loved my husband but would bite me[I took care of him]I became scared of him but also learned to love him.I just couldnt touch Max.I decided I wanted a bird I could handle and get over my fear.I got a just weaned blk hd caique.I was able to get over my fear ,we grew together she taught me alot.Thank god for this experience now I have large birds rescues and a much better relationship with Max.I dont have a GCC but a sun conure.I know alot of people that have them and always hear their great!

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
Hi Jan,

Lots of good advice here. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a wild bird, but I can assure you as a first time conure owner (or any bird for that matter) you will bond quickly with them and learn each others quirks.

I'm on the fence with the flight thing. I hate to deprive them of their natural abilities as well, but after reading about necks breaking from flying into walls and windows, I must err on the side of caution and whats best for safety.

Most Reactions

Latest posts