Questions !!

devin_09

Sep 29, 2010
Hi everybody! I am in the process of deciding whether or not to purchase/adopt a Blue and Gold Macaw ! I really want to know more about them. Such as, diet, caging requirements, where to buy/adopt one, and just what a day to day life is like when owning a Macaw. I have been toiling with purchasing/adopting one for a little bit over four years now. Right now seems like the best time for purchasing one, as I am in my own house and have a great job as a vet tech. I have owned/own many exotic animals and feel that I am ready to take the plunge as of right now. I guess I am asking you guys to give ANY information that would hinder/or move along my choice to obtain a Macaw !

Thanks,
Devin S.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Getting Fargo was the greatest decision of my life!! It is like living with a feathered toddler! :) He is so clever and friendly, loves cuddles!

His diet is- Harrisons, Vetafarm, Zupreem and Prettybird pellets in the morning, fruits/nuts and snacks during the day, and the afternoon/dinner is a big vegetable mash!

His cage size is- 185cm(H) x 130cm(W) x 130cm(D)
But he spends most of his day out playing on his gyms and trees!

I love him to bits, and he is SO intelligent and cheeky.. They make alot of mess with their toys though and need alot of attention!

Just remember, lots of training and lots of socialization! :)

I have had Fargo for about a year and 8 months, and have never regretted it once.. He is a huge dedication, but worth it!

OP
devin_09

devin_09

Sep 29, 2010
That's Awesome !! He sure looks handsome :)!!! How do they do with other pets? I forgot to ask that. I have two dogs and three cats. They all get along with my other non dog and cat animals :)!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If they are socialized together it's possible, but there is always a risk with dogs and cats. Big aggressive dogs can easily kill the bird. Bird's can go after curious dog noses. Cat scratches are incredibly dangerous to a bird...

And of course, A CAT IS CONSIDERED A SPORT TO A MACAW...

Bird screams. Kitty jumps out of it's skin. THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT...

Bluff like you're going to chase the cat. Watch the cat do laps around the room, half way up the wall...

No. I am not making this up! A friend of mine has a greenwing that "hides" on the cat, so she can sneak up on the cat and scream...

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Keep in mind this is like taking care of a 5 year old child

Ask yourself this: How many hours a day can you spend with the bird? EVERYDAY

What will you do if you want to go away over night or for a weekend?

This is a lifelong commitment, the bird can live longer than you...

Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts