Quick Q about DNA sexing

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
I know you need to send in some feathers. Do the feathers HAVE to be plucked from the bird or can you use feathers that have fallen out on their own ??

& why??

C: ps. happy new yr

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I just got the DNA kits for my bird yesterday and haven't read the instructions yet. I am pretty sure the feathers will need to be plucked though. I think they need to be feathers that have a current blood supply. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do the feather test or have the vet draw some blood. I don't want to have to cut a toenail to the quick to get the blood, although I know some do it that way.

OP
TurquoiseMel

TurquoiseMel

Aug 10, 2011
NJ
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Turquoise: Loquito (Little crazy) aka Loqui.
Cinnamon: Lila
I've heard of the nail thing too, but I don't think I could do that hehe. I was really hoping I didn't have to pluck a feather D: there's actually this one feather Loqui has that's been sticking out of place for a few days and every time I try to fix it for him or pluck it out it obviously hurts and he nips me. Idk if I could pluck a feather either -____-' lol but I'm becoming more & more curious as to what the sex of my bird is

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I need to read these instructions so I can actually give informed answers, lol! But, I think based on what I've read here is that you pluck breast feathers, and others said it doesn't hurt.

I know, I don't want to hurt my bird either. That's why I might have the vet do it, lol! He needs to go in for blood work and a full health exam anyway. Looks like warmer weather again at the end of this week so I am going to call and make an appointment for then.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I usually pull 2 feathers from the wing, the ones closest to the body. If there is blood in the feather only 1 sample will do.

The reason you don't use a fallen feather is because of contamination. When you pull your feather don't touch the end that is to be tested as you can transfer your dna & the sample could be false or so I have been told.

usamimi

Oct 30, 2011
North GA
Parrots
Kevin the Congo African Grey (DNA'd F) and Ra the Sun Conure
I can't bring myself to do it! I had my vet send out a sexing kit, more expensive but he already pulled blood for a blood panel so while it was there I figured i'd save some stress.

woubette

Sep 19, 2011
Media
Texas
Parrots
Rio-Pineapple GCC
Kai-Cinnamon GCC
you would need to pull feathers from the breast area. They have to be pulled not molted because they test the tissue on the end of the feathers. I just did my two fids in November and got the results back quickly. I was wrong about BOTH of them! Rio is a girl and Kai is a boy! I had it backwards! Good luck with yours.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I just ordered cards from avian biotech a few days ago, we know the sex of all of our birds, except the baby, but I thought it would be wise to order them ahead of time in case we actually end up with some zon babies in the future. I like the cards and the nail method best. It just seems quicker and less stressful than a trip to the vet or pulling feathers out IMO, but to each his own :D

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
I DNA all my babies and breeders. I had a breeder bird I bought this year that was "DNA'd male" this was done by another breeder by feathers. Well that bird needed surgery and the vet found out my male was a female. He said that he would recomend blood over feathers any day. It is more blood for a sample that way and you get true results. I was really upset by this so wanted to let people know do the blood. If you can't do it have a vet do it. Also don't use the cheap places. I have heard and seen (my "male"/female) they are not always correct, Go with Avian Biotech! Just my vet and my opion but wanted to share.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I've always done my birds by getting a tiny bit of blood from a toe... Just prick the toe with the needle provided, and follow the instructions... I found this very easy, and none of the birds were distressed.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
I use Biotech and I do like the toe nail clip better than to pull the breast feathers. The toe nail clip is really quick and the birds don't seem to mind much, of course I only clip a tiny piece at a time to make sure I only cut enough to get a couple of drops of blood, as you don't want to cut too much of the quick.

Make sure to clean the toe nail and clippers with alcohol first and I usually do not use the first drop of blood, I wipe that one away then if you massage gently the toe, the blood gently drains a bit.

You can't use molted feathers, they do have to be pulled. I myself do not like to pull feathers. But it's just me. Besides, with the blood, I also send in a cloaca sample and test for diseases as well such as PBFD for example.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My conures were done with blood typing. I want a full work up on my amazon anyway so there will be blood drawn by the vet. I have concerns about the crummy diet he was on with his previous owner.

Most Reactions

Latest posts