Quick question...concern?

Oct 24, 2016
Hi All!
My boy Carl (Alexandrine) has fiiiiinally started to really play with his toys....but now Im concerned about one. Hes been happily chomping on it for the last 15 minutes or so and I've been hearing him breaking bits of the plastic balls off. I knew Alex's were big chewers but should this be cause for concern? I bought the toy from a parrot shop here in Melbourne but now Im wondering...

204a981d4313bd6c3b00c00c05488fc2.jpg

f0f59d919dcd6908f4a31b112e09c6c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
That could be a danger if the pieces are small enough. How big are the pieces that are being broken off? Also can I ask which pet shop you went to as I'm also in melbourne. If the pieces are small enough for him to swallow then I recommend you remove those plastic pieces leaving the rest of the toy. If you like you could replace them with another toy part. Good luck. :)

OP
Carl_the_Alexandrine
Oct 24, 2016
Orderd it from my parrot shop online. They're great! Yeah I think I'll be removing the yellow stuff tonight while hes asleep haha

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
100% agree. Swallowing plastic is not safe. Unless you see the small bits on the floor of the cage . Even then how could you know if she i not ingesting some. I would remove the plastic parts. Offer natural made materials - wood , straw, coconut shells, paper, knobs of sea grass, bells ( stainless steel is best), leather strings ( but naturally tanned - i THINK the term is brain tanned, but read up on that). Say Hi to Carl ! He is cute.

OP
Carl_the_Alexandrine
Oct 24, 2016
So far they've all landed on the floor, but Id rather not risk it! The rest of the toy is shreddable so I'll just take off the iffy stuff! Thanks!

Timmah

May 26, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Blue Quaker (Griffin)
Definitely a good idea to remove hehe. One of my mates gives his conure tongue depressors to chew on, that he gets in bulk from EBay. I reckon I'll do the same when i get my Quaker.

Also nice to see another couple of Victorians too :D

OP
Carl_the_Alexandrine
Oct 24, 2016
Definitely a good idea to remove hehe. One of my mates gives his conure tongue depressors to chew on, that he gets in bulk from EBay. I reckon I'll do the same when i get my Quaker.

Also nice to see another couple of Victorians too :D
Im actually outside of Melbourne in good ol Ballarat haha. But originally I'm from Canada. Moved here just over 4 years ago now, hopefully get my residency by Christmas!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
100% agree. Swallowing plastic is not safe. Unless you see the small bits on the floor of the cage . Even then how could you know if she i not ingesting some. I would remove the plastic parts. Offer natural made materials - wood , straw, coconut shells, paper, knobs of sea grass, bells ( stainless steel is best), leather strings ( but naturally tanned - i THINK the term is brain tanned, but read up on that). Say Hi to Carl ! He is cute.

I haven't heard the term brain tanned, but vegetable tanned leather is what I know it as. It's a little firmer than chromium tanned leather but it's sometimes hard to tell if you're not comparing them side by side. I buy boxes of vege-tan scraps that last me forever! I think I got 5lbs for $20 + shipping.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
As a bookbinder, I work with leather a lot, so I feel compelled to add two cents. Leather is tanned with chemicals so it won't rot ... It is skin, after all. Originally this was done with tannin from plant sources, hence the name "tanning". In modern times tanning with other toxic chemicals was found to be cheaper and faster, so most leather today is "chrome tanned". Some vendors take chrome tanned leather, remove the chrome tanning, and re-tan with vegetable processing. It's possible - likely - that traces of chromium might remain in the leather.

I purchase leather from Siegel Leather, owned by Steve Siegel. Steve is a leather expert of experts. I asked him about this, and he suggested using the veg tanned fair goat sold on his website. I have some of his fair goat and fair calf - fair means it hasn't been dyed, so it's a very light color. Most leather dyes are toxic. There is also something called "alum tawed" leather which is not tanned but treated in a different way, which makes it nearly white with a spongy texture. Steve has some great information about leather on his website.

Brain tanning is most often seen with deerskin, using brains to soften the leather and make it pliable. Seriously.

I buy leather in whole skins because I use a lot, and have enough scraps to make toys forever, but it can be expensive for small amounts. If there is interest, I would be willing to pick up some skins and divide them up for people. I'll email Steve and see if he has some good scraps as well...

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Fascinating to learn that, Kentuckienne.
So as not to redirect the discussion, I'd love it if you started a thread on how you began doing books, what you actually do and how, maybe some pictures???

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
Looks like Carl really went to town on this one. I usually use natural wood, but I also use vegetable tanned leather scraps, strips, shapes etc. Birds love them and they are safe and durable, especially for chewers.

OP
Carl_the_Alexandrine
Oct 24, 2016
Im actually outside of Melbourne in good ol Ballarat haha. But originally I'm from Canada. Moved here just over 4 years ago now, hopefully get my residency by Christmas!

Hehe, Ballarat weather should be closer to the cold of Canada then hehe. Gets cold up there! (Compared to Melb ;))
I have a harder time with winters here! 4 months of grey and rain haha. At least back in Canada if it was -30 there was still blue sky and sun haha.
Absolutely love Australia though. Of course it helps Ive got a husband and 1 year old son here haha

Most Reactions