Rabbit or Kitten?

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Ohhh you are soo lucky then Scott! :( Nesado grew up around birds, but his drive to hunt is still too strong, just too wild :p He would be about 3 now! This year he had a massive growth, he is SO heavy, you wouldn't think so from looking at him, but hes so tall and solid haha
*snip*

The only good thing about him is his coat, is a cool pattern :p hahaha

LOVE LOVE LOVE That list Amy!!!! We aren't allowed ferrets in queensland either :p

Its stupid though, i know people who have snuck bunnies and ferrets here -_-

Ooh, such a pretty kitty!! Someone had some FREE bengals on Craig's list a while back... Would've loved to take one, but it seemed like a scam /: it was just... Weird. But not weird for people to give away pets.

And thanks :p I'm partial to both, but I may have been a bit biased towards rabbit :p
Hey, ill provide all the rabbit pics in the world ;)

We have a colony setup, but I had the in cages for a bit.. Bred her 31 days ago.. If she took, and didnt reasorb the kits, then she'll pop any day. rabbits tend to be Preggo 31-35 days. If she has babies - and/or if the doe we got her with (we got her and another doe free off Craigslist) took -then ill post lots of pics! I promise, ok? :D

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014

Then I guess she was getting annoyed by my pic taking, and moved to this.

There's the rest, lol. I don't know why, but it said I have 10 pictures in that first post :| uh, no, but ok.

Oh, and why are ferrets & bunnies illegal there? I suppose I can understand ferrets, but bunnies? Do they really damage that much?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
OH MY GOODNESS.. She just lies there like a cat!!! I didn't even realise they could sleep like that :eek:

and that fur looks sooo soft..

Oh man i really want a rabbit now :( hahaha

Might just quickly drive down to NSW and get one ;)

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Well she's pregnant so she's awfully fat, she doesn't usually sit like that, but I guess with a belly full of kits... Lol.

She's also a Rex mix, so she is SUPER soft.

Haha, well here's some more photos... Rosa is the Rex, and Charlie is a holland mutt. They're bonded - which is odd for intact females, so I think they're from the same litter (2 mothers could've given birth in the same litter, or they were moved around) or mother/daughter. Ether way, their adorable. The 2nd pic they were grooming each other.. :)

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
My cat was found by a workman in our barn, had been rejected by his mother so I brought him into the house. He was so tiny that I had to bottle feed him. That was 10 years ago this coming spring. I trained him to leave the lovebird alone, and although he does look at the birds now, he has never tried to go after them. Nico (my former lovebird) used to climb over him and nip at his nails lol. I was wondering Kinny why, if you are considering a rabbit, why you didn't consider a chinchilla or a guinea pig - they come in different breeds and colors and hair lenghts and are very cute and both animals are very safe with birds. I've never had a chinchilla but I think they look very sweet and pretty and have the very softest fur, whereas I have had guinea pigs and they are very interactive and more vocal than a rabbit. I was admiring those Bengal pictures, what a magnificient creature that is, just breathtaking - I believe there are some areas in the US where they are illegal because they are not fully domesticated.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
SpotsandSally, Australia has had a very bad experience with rabbits, where they have simply gone through huge booms in populations and eating everything around, endangering the native wildlife, as well as sheep and cattle feed. There have been whole towns that get together to club them and do their best to get down the rabbit population. There are even famous fences that were supposted to be rabbit-proof that go for miles and miles, but of course, they didn't work. Australia has proved fertile ground for several invasive species, the other that comes to mind is the cane toad, and I understand Qld has a huge population of those too.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
If bunnies are so over populated then why cant i find any in the wild in Queensland :31: hahahaha

I just dont understand why all the other states allow them though? :20:
And you think they could make a rule that they have to be desexed to be able to own one :(

and yes, cane toads are a huge problem here, they are everywhereeeeee

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
Ohhh you are soo lucky then Scott! :( Nesado grew up around birds, but his drive to hunt is still too strong, just too wild :p He would be about 3 now! This year he had a massive growth, he is SO heavy, you wouldn't think so from looking at him, but hes so tall and solid haha

The only good thing about him is his coat, is a cool pattern :p hahaha

LOVE LOVE LOVE That list Amy!!!! We aren't allowed ferrets in queensland either :p

Its stupid though, i know people who have snuck bunnies and ferrets here -_-

He is absolutely lovely. Looks a LOT like Link. Do you know his pedigree at all? Also what generation he is? I see a lot of Early Generation characteristics in him...the Asian Leopard Cat is an amazing wild cat ^_^ Here is my thread for him if interested (http://www.parrotforums.com/nonfeathered-pets/38818-my-bengal-kitten-link-_.html#post335686)

I know what you mean about weight, they're more like dogs than cats to the touch. I just got a harness, we've begun snow walks recently :]

@OP: I think you should wait to see the kitten to decide. They're about as cuddly as you can get and still be sociable enough to be a pet you can relate too (just in my opinion with rabbits).

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
The only pet I wouldn't own with birds is a ferret. I'm surprised do many people think cats and birds can't coexist. I'm so confident of my cats I wouldn't hesitate to leave them out together with me out if the room. My cats pay zero attention to the birds.

On the other hand I wouldn't leave my standard poodle with the birds even short term, not because she would attack them, but because she's like a colt and might squish them.

I know that people own both cats and birds and coexist fine. However it is also true that the cat's predatory instinct is very strong and can you truly trust it? Cats are so smart and such great acrobats that they often rule the roost and I feel that it would be nerve wracking for the birds to have such predator around (even if the cat doesn't seem interested). I'm not against anyone owning them, you just have to be very vigilant.

Sc0tt

Nov 18, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Red Throated Conure - Casper | American Budgie - Zeus (R.I.P)
The only pet I wouldn't own with birds is a ferret. I'm surprised do many people think cats and birds can't coexist. I'm so confident of my cats I wouldn't hesitate to leave them out together with me out if the room. My cats pay zero attention to the birds.

On the other hand I wouldn't leave my standard poodle with the birds even short term, not because she would attack them, but because she's like a colt and might squish them.

I know that people own both cats and birds and coexist fine. However it is also true that the cat's predatory instinct is very strong and can you truly trust it? Cats are so smart and such great acrobats that they often rule the roost and I feel that it would be nerve wracking for the birds to have such predator around (even if the cat doesn't seem interested). I'm not against anyone owning them, you just have to be very vigilant.

I would never let my cat and bird out together, I actually don't even when I'm supervising 100%. They don't bother being around each other too much so it's easy to isolate them for play time, etc.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I have to laugh at the thought of a ferret proof room... I used to work/volunteer at two ferret rescues and owned 14 ferrets myself at one point... they are sneaky and tricky and they WILL find a way out of that room if its the last thing they do... I have seen ferrets open doors before by actually using the doorknob and squeeze through an impossible small slot under doors or through air vents. I love ferrets but would never risk having a ferret in a house with birds. Maybe you could create a ferret proof room but it would probably take some trial and error and the risk would be great for any bird in the house.

We have 4 cats in the house. The two won't bother the birds and my two green cheeks actually bully them off the couch. The other two can be more iffy. They generally ignore the birds but are still really close to the kitten age and become interested when a bird hits the floor. The cats know they will be yelled at even if they look at the birds funny so they generally stay out of the birds way.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
I have to laugh at the thought of a ferret proof room... I used to work/volunteer at two ferret rescues and owned 14 ferrets myself at one point... they are sneaky and tricky and they WILL find a way out of that room if its the last thing they do... I have seen ferrets open doors before by actually using the doorknob and squeeze through an impossible small slot under doors or through air vents. I love ferrets but would never risk having a ferret in a house with birds. Maybe you could create a ferret proof room but it would probably take some trial and error and the risk would be great for any bird in the house.

LOL. Fort Knox perhaps?
Was it a handle door knob or a round door knob? If its round, that's guinenly scary. They're equipped to kill and smart enough to open doors, and small enough to fit through... Everything.
Goodness gracious that's scary.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
Oh my sister had a ferret and she really was very sweet, she never bit and always was up for some petting. Only problem from my standpoint was she had an odd smell that was always present that I found ..... unpleasant.

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
bunny!!! bunny bunny bunny!! they are realllllly sweet and cuddly. and even if ur cat stays away from your bird, your birds gonna be frustrated. im super partial to bunnies :p
sorry, cat people, i just find cats extremley moody ans silent. im more of a dog kinda gal, so cats seem extra boring and sleepy to me. thats what i think. every cat is different, though

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
Yeah, I had a ferret when I got my first bird, a Quaker, and I had to get rid of him when I found him dragging my baby under the bed by his throat!!!!! Thank god he wasn't hurt!! I gave my ferret to a friend who had about 4 ferrets haha Everything worked out ok, but not a risk I'm willing to take again.

Bunnies are cute, but I love cats. Bunnies are boring after a while haha I love my cat and I just make sure him and the bird aren't out together unless the bird or him are with me. He doesn't usually mess with the bird. He gets that look in his eyes if my bird flys, but I chase the kitty off when birdy is flying. :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Sounds like you've already decided on the cat, but I'll add a vote for a cat. I have bunnies. They are a lot of work, I've never seen such a high poo-to-animal ratio in any of my pets.

The cat will take care of its own toileting and, if you keep it indoors, it won't fill its tray nearly as quickly as bunnies will.

Bunnies are not really cuddly. They look cuddly, but they aren't naturally like that. Even when they'll let you cuddle them, it's not really their "thing", their "thing" is to be frightened of you and run away (they are prey animals, that's their natural tendency, even though a pet one might overcome it to some extent, it's how they think about their world). Cats on the other hand love cuddles and will seek you out for cuddles. (mostly, anyway, depends on the cat, some don't like being handled as much as others).

Another thing with bunnies is that they are very sensitive animals and can die at the drop of a hat. You can't just suddenly change their diet. They have to eat all the time or their gut can stop working and they'll die. They might die when you get them neutered. They might get spurs on their teeth and stop eating and they'll die. It's nervewracking all the ways they might die on you. Cats are much hardier animals.

As for bird interest, it again depends on the cat. My cats have never shown the slightest interest in my birds.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Just Curious: if you despise bunnies (read on another thread) why would you get one, exactly? I understand wanting best for your kid, but I hated something with every fibre of my being I don't think I'd want one, even if its for my kid. And, if your getting a pet for your kids, shouldn't your kids have more of a vote for us? Just curious, I don't mean to come off as rude or anything :eek: sounds like the cat won you over, not too surprising (lol since you hate bunnies), but just curious. I'm sure you've already talked to your kids, but you never mentioned anything they said so.. *shrug*
And DO post pics of the kitty kitty...

And yes, bunnies are THE most fragile animals I've had aside from parrots. However, I've never seen spurs on teeth on a well bred bunny. It's always rescues that - IMO - really need to be put down. Yes, they deserve a quality life, but it gets ridiculous when every rescue bunny you've ever heard of, or had, grew spurs on their teeth. And it isn't cheap - or safe - for a bunny to have its teeth drilled down every couple months... So I suggest getting a good, healthy stock from. Good, reputable breeder.
Bunnies are fragile beings. People may SAY they're not, but they are.

Though I find picking up bunny pops not nearly as bad as kitty poops... Just me anyways... ;)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fragile animals... joeys... :31: I kinda hate doing wildlife caring because its such a small chance that you can keep a baby alive if they are that young...

I guess people say possums aren't cuddly animals, because they are wild.. but Smeagol was the cuddliest little thing ever, even when he was in his release cage he would still run to me and give me major cuddles.. :rolleyes:

I love all animals, i like animals that bond to me strongly... Kinda like my horses, they love me more than my mum, same with Fargo... The dogs and cats just like any one who pats them though :09:

Thats one of the good things about wildlife caring.. Is they get so bonded to me, they hate being with mum and sprint to me when they see me :D

Still want a bunny though, just cause they are cute and sweet.. I used to have guinea pigs when i was younger.. Well when i was about 9 haha They were cool

I am actually super surprised about all this ferret stuff, i have never even seen a ferret in real life... In pictures i thought they were cute and sweet little things :confused:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
Oh Tab, a ferret is a WEASEL - and they are major predators, they have sharp teeth and can use their claws as well. But many predators do make good pets, like dogs and cats, but the predator is always lurking within.

Most Reactions